HDMI ISSUES

Hi.

I need some help sorting out my HDMI connection. I have had a problem with it previously and the solution was to somehow turn off my Xbox's 'auto-detect settings' feature. Now that I am experiencing the problem again, I can't remember where to find this option. I have skimmed through the system settings menu while using a regular component cable but I am unable to find the setting. Could anyone assist me in locating it?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

I think you're talking about the feature called 'Display Discovery'. This feature is found under Console Settings -> Display.

Yeah, I went into the display settings and my only options were: HDTV Settings, Screen Format (which is greyed out and can't be selected) and Screen Saver.

im having similar problems, no sound and the display settings are messed up, my screen looks like im using an old scart cable rather than a hdmi cable on a full hdtv. when i go to display settings, screen format is greyed out and cant be selected ands its displaying an 1280x720 widescreen dvi. what the hell?

i think i've nailed it, went into display discovery and disabled it, this rebooted my console and let me change my settings back to how i had them. sound has also returned.

HDMI cables have a tendency to not correctly connect all the time, especially lower grade ones. Ensure the HDMI is pushed firmly in (sorry if that might seem like telling you to suck eggs, but you would be surprised how often HDMI's are not firmly pushed in). 

Also if you have more than one HDMI on the TV in question, consult your manual to which HDMI is an output as well this allows for display discovery (as described by the other forum helpers here) a lot easier.

Display Discovery is a like a Dummy protection feature for the xbox settings. It will read your TV's optimal settings but some things might not work properly having it enabled.

Turning it off (for me at least) reduced the input lag of my TV and audio and allows the HDMI 5.1 audio going to your TV to "pass-through' out of your TV's digital out connection.

just wondering, if I disable display discovery and manualy set the correct resolution settings for my tv, would I lose a slight bit of picture quality and sharpness.

[quote user="Cyber Adept"]

just wondering, if I disable display discovery and manualy set the correct resolution settings for my tv, would I lose a slight bit of picture quality and sharpness.

[/quote]

It shouldn't affect quality. Turning Display Discovery off simply makes the Xbox 360 ignore some (but not all) of the E-EDID data sent by the display, revealing settings not identified as supported by the display. It just gives you the option to override those settings if the display supports them.

There might be exceptions, but I don't think any of the listed resolutions change in timings or such by the Display Discovery option.

And DON'T listen to my post above about Display Discovery. It was 2 years ago and I have researched much since then and I have it enabled. Does not induce input lag that was actually what my TV was doing.