HDMI Handshake Malfuction "Fixed"

My Xbox 360 has worked with my HD television via HDMI for about 3 months until one day I could not play Xbox 360 via HDMI.

Troubleshooting the issue was my first resort.

First, I tested the HDMI cable I was using to play the Xbox and it was functioning properly between my laptop and tv.

Next, I tested the Xbox to my TV with another HDMI cable and it did not work.

Then, I tested the Xbox on another TV using the same HDMI cable and it connected.

Then I made sure that the display settings on my TV were functioning and tried connecting it again.

It did not work.

Finally I did my research and found out the Xbox was unable to only connect to one specific TV, the primary TV I use.

This was because of a handshake error between the Xbox 360 HDMI input and the TV's output. The handshake error lay in the edmi starter not functioning properly, kind of like a starter not working on an engine.

But the bizarre part is that it was only happening between the Xbox 360 and that specific TV. ??? So weird. I don't understand how electronic devices communicate but this was leading me to believe that there was some kind defect in the Xbox 360's HDMI functionality.

So finally, the way to resolve this issue: buy an HDMI switcher that connects the xbox to the TV.

On another issue, I think Xbox should provide people who are experiencing this some kind of more efficient instruction or rebate.

This event is not an isolated one.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/p/143610/1168681.aspx#1168681

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=215136

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424836

Below is how I solved the issue

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1096050

Last note and basically my whole point for this. Xbox support could not help me. If they provided this solution on their website, I could give them credit for helping, but no.

I didn't see where you mention what model and make TV you are using this on. Also Support may not have been able to help you because it may have been a new issue that they have not encountered before or reproduced themselves yet so they can create a fix for it.

I'm glad you found a fix for it yourself but coming here and saying what you said in the manner you said it was not necessary nor warranted. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My TV is a Sony LCD bought in 2008,  KDL-40S2010.

My statement is well-warrented. If you take a look at the original post in this forum regarding the same issue, http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/p/143610/1168681.aspx#1168681 Xbox Support was unable to resolve it given the information that it was supplied by the user in need of help.

I'm sorry you think my manner was uncalled for, but I called Xbox twice and was given useless advice. I am here offering a solution to improve Xbox support.

I want xbox to understand that this is not a problem happening with a specific TV. In the links to other forums, users with the same issue have different models of TV's than mine. Just FYI.

If you are a member of Xbox support, I am sorry if I am coming across very shrewdly, I am not a troll. Are the links I have provided in my original post not enough to understand the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh I understand the problem. I just think you could have been more tactful in your presentation. As I said MS may not have had this issue before and did not know how to resolve it. Good that you found a solution, next thing would have been to post it in a civil and polite manner instead of a bashing rant about how MS was useless in helping you and the ONE other person having the same issue. Now do you understand where I am coming from? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Duly noted. I did not mean to come across to anyone rude. The problem might not even be as common as I had perceived it to be. In any case I appreciate your response and am glad to have been able to provide a solution and will check my tone next time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

can i ask one question tho ?? what are xbox doing about all of this ?? im having the same problem and by the looks of things so are alot of others !! not being funny but why should we have to out and buy more things to make an xbox work ??  Plz dont think im being rude, its just a questions !!

And a massive thanx to you Snake for a solution no one seems to come back and tell anyone anything once they have fixed something, you have been a great help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with my TV (Samsung plasma, PS51D450).  Every other piece of equipment works fine with it (HTPC, Bluray player and PS3).  This is an Xbox issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, o MIKEZ o. If you're having a video issue, can you please create a new thread for us? Please be sure to include a full description of your situation along with any troubleshooting steps you have tried so far. This will enable us to get the troubleshooting process started. Thanks in advance!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Iv also encountered this problem (there are many people who have too) with my Xbox and my new Samsung TV. Something must have happened to the settings of the Xbox when I hooked it up to my other Sony TV, so when I tried it again on my Samsung it no longer works leaving a 'no signal' message. I tried it on a different but very similar Samsung too and same story. I tried every other blind resetting and pixel changing trick suggested on the net and its still not working. The whole reason why I bought this tv was to play my Xbox and now I can't. I'll have to try spending more money and getting a HDMI switcher.

*Sigh*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2022 Views 1,010 Applies to: