HDMI conversion for older console?

Hi, I recently bought myself a nice 1080 37" HDTV.  I don't watch a lot of tv, so I mostly bought it for playing my xbox.  Silly me, I forgot I had a pre-2007 refurb console with no HDMI port! D:  The picture is much better on this tv regardless, but I want to maximize the resolution.  So, is there a good, reliable way to get up to 1080 out of my older console?  I saw a madcatz converter, but I'm a little wary of that.  Also saw a lot of stuff on Amazon advertised as  adaptors, but from the looks of it, it actually converts to AV?!  Right now I'm looking into the VGA cable, since my tv does have a vga port.  WOuld that do the trick?

Thanks, and sorry for rambling! ;)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

best way to get close to HD picture on a old 360 is via the component video cables (red/blue/green for video red/white for audio).  you can find them through MS direct or you can get them on amazon or ebay.  also I have seen them at some game stops where people traded them in, I had a set for my old 360 for around 12/13 bucks, good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Component cables are HD but a VGA cable is better and will give you a much better quality visually.

However a HDMI cable would give you the best results. Since your Xbox does not have a HDMI port, you can get a HDMI conversion but it will be similar to VGA quality.

Sorry this didn't help.

Remember though that the VGA cable does not carry sound on its own, so he will need the audio dongle as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

I forgot to mention, you get the audio dongle when you buy the official VGA cable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just thought it was worth mentioning as he may have bought one second hand and then would have been stuck without sound. People for some reason trade in the VGA cable but keep the audio dongle.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just checked my VGA cable, it has both the video and audio port (red and white for audio).

The dongle only takes the two audio cables and puts it in one port (if you want to connect it to the back of your PC). So in effect, he will get audio (if he connectes it to his TV) even if he buys preowned, but then he won't be able to connect it to his PC, if he wishes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I just got home with the VGN cable (the xbox brand no less).  It has the audio input also, but it looks like I have to connect the red and white to the Y adaptor.

Picture looks pretty damn good!

Sorry this didn't help.