hdmi audio

I have a Sony 7.1, DTS, true DTS amp and when I link my One to it with HDMI it tells me my amp doesn't support anything other than stereo uncompressed signals when it obviously does,how do I set it up to output surround sound to my amp via hdmi,or is the one not capable of this even though according to the menu it should.If I go and buy an optical cable will I get the same problem and find the one only outputs stereo?     Also is there ever going to be a patch so we can rip cd's to the hard drive,a basic function that was on the x box and 360. I don't particularly want to subscribe to x box music to pay for stuff I already own,and if so do I have to play games with the horrid snap side bar showing if I stream music from there when playing a game......you really have surpassed yourselves in the disappointment stakes this time microsoft,£430 for a console worth not much more than £250 with most of the best bits from the 360 removed rather than kept!!!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

The XB1 launched with no support for 5.1 sound systems and up. It is compressed stereo.

Sorry, nothing you can do. The XB1 wasn't ready to be launched yet.

This is just one of many issues- broken party chat, no surround sound, not compatible with headsets, game crashing cause RAM isn't cleared and so on.

So.. Yeah. Sorry bud.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="SP3C7ER117"]

The XB1 launched with no support for 5.1 sound systems and up. It is compressed stereo.

[/quote]

Just another uninformed (or misinformed) user.....

I have both the uncompressed 5.1 and uncompressed 7.1 sound output options working just fine through my receiver using HDMI and ARC.

Make sure you selected the proper receiver in the settings (either under the main settings or in the One Guide Settings, I can't remember exactly where off the top of my head) and then try again.

Have you installed the latest firmware on the Xbox and the Receiver?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="enemveecee"]If I go and buy an optical cable will I get the same problem and find the one only outputs stereo?[/quote]

Yes! there are plenty of posts about this on this board. The optical output (at this time) only supports 2 channel stereo or DTS compressed. Use HDMI for uncompressed audio.

Sorry this didn't help.

Managed to sort the sound after lots of playing with amp,had to set sound to only output through amp not tv too!! Definitely released too early, really annoyed about the no ripping cd's thing though,and not happy about losing last fm either.Hopefully a few updates will be coming soon.....couldn't handle another 200 hours of fallout new vegas without my own music as the soundtrack.

Sorry this didn't help.

This may help - lots of "me too's" in response to the verified answer:  forums.xbox.com/.../1625510.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah... I was just inferring that he used optical out and stuff. That is uncompressed only. HDMI will probably run 7.1.

Tons of issues with the system. This. Party chat, not clearing RAM when turned off, and no headset support are the big ones. Other than that it's a pretty solid piece of kit. BF4 looks amazing on it. But there's a lot of issues. MS probably won't get on any of them for quite awhile.

They're kinda slow to the party lately. But hey, at least it's not PSN and blue light of deaths.

Sorry this didn't help.