HDD harmed by 3rd party cable

Hi, unfortunately I didn't see the warning about 3rd party transfer cables before using one.  I received a used 250 GB hdd, which appears to be a genuine MS product and plugged the device and HDD into the USB port in the back of my xbox 360 elite.  A pop up asking to format came up to format the device which I did even though I knew the device was working fine.  Now the device shows 16 GB of memory not the 232GB.  I unformatted the HDD and now it is not recognized by the xbox unless I connect through the USB port.  Is there anyway of restoring this HDD to its proper working condition (i.e.-232 GB and recognized when installed on top of xbox 360)?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Unfortunately not.  There is nothing you can do.  Support will not even help as the error was caused by a 3rd party cable and Microsoft does not support 3rd party products.

Sorry to hear of this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

well first to do a hd transfer thats not how you do it

the new hd must go on the side of the unit (not via transfer cable) and the original hd must be attached to the transfer cable

Sorry this didn't help.

The fact that it will only show you 16GB makes me think that it likely isn't an official 360 drive as that is the size limit on third party USB drives.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="a55a33in"]Is there anyway of restoring this HDD to its proper working condition (i.e.-232 GB and recognized when installed on top of xbox 360)?[/quote]There is no authorized method to recover from formatting the drive via USB.[quote user="Mcmax3000"]The fact that it will only show you 16GB makes me think that it likely isn't an official 360 drive as that is the size limit on third party USB drives.[/quote]That has nothing to do with it. Third party HDD transfer cables do not work properly with the 360. Use of a third party cable with an official drive yields the pop-up asking if one wants to format the drive for use with the 360. If yes is selected, all the custom formatting and security data on the official HDD is removed and replaced with a single FAT32 volume and a 16GB USB Memory Unit.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I'm SOL.  My computer can recognize the HDD as 250 GB with the 3 partitions (exploring with another program).  SO the security data was erased and that is why the xbox won't "see" it.  (Mcmax, it is a genuine microsoft HDD with the Microsoft sticker over the one *** unscathed.)

Sorry this didn't help.