HD remakes opinions?

So what are your opinions on all these HD remakes that are now flooding this current generation?

Off the top of my head this year we are getting:

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO

Metal Gear Solid collection

Devil May Cry

Splinter Cell

Silent Hill

Resident Evil

Halo CE

And we've already got:

Beyond good & Evil

Prince of Persia

Sly Cooper

Tomb Raider

and many more that have slipped my mind.

New releases all seem to be filled with bugs/glitches and locked content. Why are developers cashing in on old classics, when they should be making new ones that we can play through and enjoy as much?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Although I can't wait for Resi 4 and Rsi CVX to come out on XBLA (massive resi fan), HD remakes do annoy me. I'd rather they spent the time creating brand new games instead of re-mastering older ones.

But don't you think they bring a good game back to a new audience? Case in point the new Halo Combat Evolved release its a 10 year old game there are many young gamers who will not have had the pleasure of playing the original and probably wouldn't consider it second hand because the graphics were of a time gone by. They keep releasing the same music CD's and remastering movies on DVD so why not games, as long as they are priced effectively I don't see why not myself.

If they would remake KOTOR i would be a very happy man indeed, as it would still blow most of games released now away.

Adding HD makes everything better or so I've heard.

The idea is ok but I notice no mention of a HD version of Hogs of War. We all know that SHOULD be done.

The only HD remake i want is FF7 until then ill stick with my Emulator for classic games :)

I would agree with you, but I can't wait to play Halo Anniversary :-)

[quote user="Genchy"]

If they would remake KOTOR i would be a very happy man indeed, as it would still blow most of games released now away.

[/quote]

this basically...

i'm over the moon MGS is finally being done... especially with achievements etc.... but I'm still praying for a KOTOR remake

HD version of Hogs of War would be the dogs! Can't wait for Resi 4!

Recycled content means less time invested in developing new IPs whilst potential to extend the lifespan of existing IP and obviously the main objective is profit.  With that, some "HD" remakes could be welcomed but I find that they can also remove the attraction to some games, I for one would prefer that games were left as they were. Perhaps bringing the game "as was" to a new platform, but we should see more original or at least new content instead.

Timesplitters 1-3 should be released in HD.