HD Problems

I was helping someone set up their new second hand XBox 360 Elite and I've had some troubles getting the best resolution for it.

I set it up using the YPbPr cables and I set the switch to HD. As it was second hand it didn't come with an HDMI cable.

I went to the settings where you have the option to change to 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. By default this setting is at 480p. I tried changing to all the others to see what would work. They all seemed to work fine and I was able to view the message on screen that asks if I can see it properly. The TVs own HUD even pops up to say that it recognises that the resolution has changed. When I select the Yes option to the message on any of the higher settings the console reverts back to the default 480p. I even tried No a couple of times.

How can I get the console to stay at any of the higher resolutions?

Thanks in advance for any solutions you may have.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi JohnD55,

It's possible the TV's maximum input using the component cables (YPbPr) can only receive at 480p.

My TV is the same and can only receive at 720i, also check the settings on the TV

If possible to try using a HDMI cable and test to see if that works at a higher rate.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The TV changed to the right resolution when I select it and goes all the way up to 1080p no problem. It's just the XBox won't stay at that setting.

Does yours display the message ok when you select the higher settings.

Can't find any relevant options in TV menus.

Unfortunately, I have no HDMI cables to test on it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there John!

This definitely sounds a bit odd. Let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

First off, Willys had a great suggestion of trying an HDMI cable if you can. I see you've said you don't have an HDMI cable to test, but if you happen to find one that would be a good thing to try out.

Now then, can you tell us exactly how you have everything set up? I see you mention YPbPr cables, are you using Component Cables? I also see you mention a switch. Are you running through a converter of any kind?

If you can let us know what setup you're using that'll give us a better idea of the situation. Let us know and we'll work with you from there. =)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I would probably have tried an HDMI cable already if I had one to do so. If I get a chance I will but I'm not sure if the opportunity will arise.

Yes, I'm using the component cables that come with the XBox. The green, blue and red ones are plugged into the proper places on the TV and the red and white audio cables are in place too. The switch I speak of is on the part of the cable you plug into the back of the XBox. It is set to HDTV as the other setting is for if you're using the Composite video which comes as part of the same cable.

Here's a pic (ignore the scart part):

c686819.r19.cf2.rackcdn.com/.../Xbox_360_cable_avance.jpg

All 6 of the plugs are attched to the big part that plugs into the console. On the picture you can see the markings on the right of the bit that connects to the XBox that says HDTV and TV. The switch is on the other side of there and lets you switch between them. The TV selection will only give a video signal out the yellow composite cable, while the HDTV option sends it through the component cables.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there JohnD,

There are a couple other things I would suggest trying:

Reset the console display settings

1. Remove any discs from the disc tray.
  2. Turn off the console.
  3. Turn on the console.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn on the console by using the Guide button on the controller. Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller will have the upper-left light illuminated.

4. As the console starts, on the controller, press and hold Y while pulling the right trigger. The display settings are reset to the default settings, and then the console automatically restarts.

Double check the steps in our Improve Video Quality article.

Please let us know how those go and we'll work from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll try this when I get a chance at the weekend. Does holding down Y and right trigger only reset the display settings or will anything else be changed by me doing this?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will need a hdmi cable, The default cables have a limit for the resolution, I tried it on my tv that's able to support 1080 but cables only did 480. Always reverted to 480 with cables but kept all settings with the hdmi cable

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there John,

Yes, the RT + Y will just reset the display to its default. Nothing else on your console will be changed. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I've only just had a chance to try this. After reseting the display settings as you suggested and it's still doing the same.

HellSpawn, sounds like it's doing the same to you as it is for me. The point is that the cables are capable of the higher resolution because they are changing and the TV is adjusting as it should so why won't it stay like that when I tell it everything is working fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there John,

While the TV is capable of the resolutions, it's possible that the TV does not support that high of a resolution for component videos.

Some newer televisions do no support Component input all the way up to their native resolution. It's possible that it is initially showing the changes but when you try to set it up for permanent change it's being rejected. That's just a possibility and you may want to double check the Television's manual on that.

I know it's been mentioned before but I would again recommend trying this using an HDMI cable for the connection. 

Sorry this didn't help.