HD-DVD Player Unreadable Disc Error

Hello:

I am getting an error saying that I cannot play my disc in my HD-DVD player.  This player is immaculate and has always worked.  We just tried two different movies that we have and both of them gave us the same errors.  One I know worked in it the last time as that was the last movie I watched on it.  The other movie is the first time we have tried watching that one.  The error reads, "Unplayable Disc:  If this is a game, DVD, or CD, please place it in your Xbox 360 disc tray."

I currently have an Xbox Pro hooked up via HDMI (date on the console is 2007) and the HD-DVD drive is plugged in to external power and hooked up to a USB port on the front of the console.  I have tried switching USB ports as well.

I have tried clearing all of the data off the HD-DVD player and that has not worked.  I tried clearing my cache to see if that would make it work and it did not.  I would like to know how to get this working.  Even though HD-DVD is an "extinct" format, I expect it to keep working.  Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 302 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

it sounds like you may be running into a region lock problem, please check and make sure these dvds you are trying to playing are from the same region as your console was purchased in. content from certain regions may not work on ones xbox

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As said in the post, I tried both a movie that I haven't watched in it before AS WELL AS the last movie that I remember watching on it. Tried it again today and still had no luck whatsoever.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Lord of Orion! Sorry to hear about the issue, let's see if we can figure out what's going on here! When you go into the settings, do you have Auto-play turned on? Have you tried using the HD-DVD drive on an alternate console? Does the same error occur? Have you tried removing all other devices and playing a DVD then? Let us know!

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay ... I have tried the HD-DVD player on another console and received the same error (same era of console as my other one - a 2007 60 GB Pro).

I decided to try the drive hooked up to my PC and see if it was the drive, but it read just fine on my PC and other than not finding a driver, it seems to be going just fine.

Next suggestion for getting this working on my Xbox?  I cannot hook my PC up to my TV and I do not wish to just use this on my PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Orion! Can you also confirm if you have Auto-play on or not? You may want to try this both ways to see if it has any effect. Also, did you try using the HD-DVD drive as the only device attached to the console? Let us know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Lord of Orion"]I decided to try the drive hooked up to my PC and see if it was the drive, but it read just fine on my PC and other than not finding a driver, it seems to be going just fine.[/quote]You're able to see the HD DVD's file structure and the name of the HD DVD shows up in Windows Explorer as part of the drive letter?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting the exact same problem and i have tried, enabling and disabling auto play, removing all other devices and tried different USB ports?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try Clearing the Cache in your System Settings under memory then see if they play.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! DJjiggins!  Would you mind making a fresh thread describing all the symptoms you're seeing?  It may be that the drive needs to be replaced, but we'll be happy to take a look for you!

Sorry this didn't help.

I too use an HD DVD player. I use it to take stress off my S series console's dvd drive when I play dvds. I do this now since my Launch S had to be sent in for dvd related issues. I too have had this issue, however I will tell you how I managed to remedy my issue. When you look under settings and storage, it will display your HD-DVD drive as if it was a storage device too. Go into it. Occasionally there are files in the drive as if they were stored there. Delete them all. It has nothing to do with it operating. My assumption is it's trace amounts of memory intended to save a spot on the disc you're playing so you may return to it later. Once I deleted all these mystery files and cleared my HDD cache (just for good measure), the problem resolved itself.

Sorry this didn't help.