having trouble reading discs

my xbox has stopped reading games. when a disc is loaded, it makes two, um..i guess "spinning" sounds, then whirrs down. it used to do this every once in a while, but reloading the disc usually fixed the problem. now i can't get it to read a disc without loading it upwards of 20 times. even brand new games.  do i need a new xbox?

thank you

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

have you tried using a CD laser cleaner that you can buy from any good retailer or online for 1-4 pounds on ebay or cheap stores i.e. discount

this is to make sure that its just dirty and this can be the cause

reply to this to let me know thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Eliminate all the obvious solutions before parting with your console for repair. support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

• Basically to start some TLC is needed. Unplug your console and storage devices (sometimes USB devices can be a factor) blow/clean out the vents and ports. Be sure not to touch any connections, just use a dry dust cloth or vacuum or air can. When you’re done re-position both your console and psu somewhere with adequate ventilation.
  • Test different games and formats like DVD movies and music CDs. If it’s having trouble reading discs use a lens cleaner several times and test again. ‘Hopefully it was just some dirt’. If you were having issues with music CDs I’d recommend you check out the Option Media Update http:/www.xbox.com/en-GB/Search?q=optional%20media%20update#Games  ">http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Search?q=optional%20media%20update#Games  
  • If you’re having trouble with a specific disc you should ensure it’s not scratched by testing it at the retailers or friends. You can look at getting a replacement if it is support.xbox.com/.../disc-replacement-program
  • If it’s still unable to read any games consistently as intended it’s recommended that you submit a repair request with Microsoft support.xbox.com/.../repair-process online service centre overview myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

im having the same issue, are some games not reading and others working just fine? please reply dont want to get yet another replacement disc or repair my xbox 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, ronaldagreen877! This thread is pretty old here. In order to get you the best support we can, please post up a new thread detailing the issue you're running into, any error codes, and troubleshooting you've already completed. That way we can get you helped out individually.

Sorry this didn't help.