Having a lot of trouble with my connection.

Hi! I've been having tons of trouble through probably the past year with my wireless connection. It never seems to be stable and always seems to encounter problems. I keep lagging out of parties and games at the same time, it's very frustrating. I even bought a $170 netgear router thinking my old one was the problem. I have ports opened, set a default DMZ, open NAT, static ip, and I have to restart my modem and router all the time. My download speed is 20mb and my upload speed is 2mb. I've tried it all. Please don't suggest me wired connection, if I could get wired I would. Besides, I have a few friends with wireless and they don't even have to touch a thing in their router. I have no problem with the speed of my connection, just lagging out all the time! Please please PLEASE help me!!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do you have any other device that shows signal strength from the same location as your Xbox? Something like a smart phone you connect to the same Wifi router? What kind of signal strength does it show?

Do you have lots of electrical cables or is there anything on the other side of the wall that could be blocking out the signals like a microwave etc?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Bazajaytee"]Do you have any other device that shows signal strength from the same location as your Xbox? Something like a smart phone you connect to the same Wifi router? What kind of signal strength does it show?

Do you have lots of electrical cables or is there anything on the other side of the wall that could be blocking out the signals like a microwave etc?

[/quote]

My IPod and Xbox both show a full 4 bars of connection in the room. I forgot to mention that my xbox and router are almost directly on either side of the wall. There is a printer and computer that are possibly blocking a flowing signal? Could that be it? I'd think that with a Netgear R6300 this problem should be non-existent, after all it is a $170 router. The router is set at a medium height on a table so I don't think its the electrical cables.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, did you try all the steps in Shad0wmanUK's post? Those are both great links!

Also, what kind of encryption do you have on that network? 

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Miss Ermine"]

Hmm, did you try all the steps in Shad0wmanUK's post? Those are both great links!

Also, what kind of encryption do you have on that network? 

[/quote]

I did try one thing in those links which is moving the router away from electronics. It still didn't work. Moving it away from a wall is pretty ridiculous so I shouldn't need to try that. I really don't understand, its a router, it should put off a signal no matter what is around it. I'm just starting to get very frustrated and thinking of installing an ethernet jack on either side of the wall and just running wired internet. But I'm not sure how to find the encryption of the network.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can have DMZ -OR- Port Forwarding -OR- UPnP but not all three. They will interfere with each other. Please choose only one.

Netgear.com is a good place to find the manual for your R6300 since there's nothing available for that at http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/netgear/default.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

have u tried da linsky cisco router yet it a good router and has stable connection even got good signal reach zone

Sorry this didn't help.

" I really don't understand, its a router, it should put off a signal no matter what is around it."

- Sadly this isn't the case though. Many devices use the 2.4Ghz band, other people's wireless networks (on the increase) microwave ovens, cordless phones, tv digisenders, Turtle Beach wireless senders etc etc

They all compete in the same band and can interfere with each other, did you use inSSIDer to look for other wireless networks in your area are try different wireless channels?

Sorry this didn't help.

Baby monitors, let's not forget baby monitors. Any wireless device within a metre/yard of the Xbox can jam the wireless signal, because if it isn't WiFi but uses the same frequency, it can interfere.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Vibroplex"]

Baby monitors, let's not forget baby monitors. Any wireless device within a metre/yard of the Xbox can jam the wireless signal, because if it isn't WiFi but uses the same frequency, it can interfere.

[/quote]

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Which of the three is better? Port Forwarding, DMZ or UPnP?

Sorry this didn't help.