Have to reset router/motem to connect to one friend.

I have one friend who claims to also have an open NAT, as i do, but i cannot connect to him unless i reset my router/motem. After i reset my router/motem, i can connect to him for a few hours before i have to do it again, i am connected by eithernet cable. Any ideas on why i always have to reset my router/motem?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Sounds like it's an NAT-related issue, or something to do with either one of your routers. I would recommend configuring port forwarding for your router, take a look from the follow, taken from the Open NAT Guide:

---

My router can't use UPnP: Manual port forwarding

If your router doesn't support UPnP, you need to manually create a port forwarding list for your router. This process is different for every router, so again: Please check your router's manual on how to do it.

Another great resource of information for this is the Port Forward Website. Just find your router model in that list, and you will get a guide with pictures and detailed instructions on how to forward ports on your router.

Go to your console, and in the "Settings" hub, select the “System” tile in the upper left, then “Network Settings.” If necessary, choose the connection type you use (wired or wireless) and take note of the current settings of your console.

For example, if your console is set to automatic, it might have an IP of 192.168.1.23, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default gateway of 192.168.1.1 (this is the internal IP address of your router), and the IP of the DNS should be the IP of your router as well.

Now set your console configuration to manual, and simply copy the settings for IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS into the appropriate fields. This will prevent the IP of your console changing. Otherwise the Router will forward the ports to the wrong IP, should the IP of the console automatically change for whatever reason.

Take note of the IP of your console (in this example 192.168.1.23) and go to your PC.

On your PC, browse to the configuration page of your router with your internet browser. Either look in the documentation of your router, or simply type in the IP of the default gateway into the browsers address bar (in our example, you would enter "http://192.168.1.1" in the address bar).

If necessary, log into the administration page of your router.

Depending on the router model, find the appropriate configuration page for port forwarding. Look for menu items "Port Forwarding", "Exposed Host", "Virtual Server", "NAT", "DMZ" or something like that.

If you find something like "Port Triggering" or "Port Mapping", this is not what you're looking for. But you're very close. Instead of "Triggering" or "Mapping" look for "Forwarding".

You should get to a configuration page, that asks for incoming port, protocol and internal IP address.

You will need to forward the following ports to the static IP of your Xbox console, that you set up earlier (and made a note of. In our example this was the 192.168.1.23)

Now forward the following ports to that IP:

• UDP 53
  • TCP 53
  • TCP 80
  • UDP 88
  • UDP 3074
  • TCP 3074

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried port forwarding, and that helped my side, but can not connect to him still. I will have to wait to post more until i can contact him via messages.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have checked via network settings and have not gotten a message relating non-open NAT.

Sorry this didn't help.

If restarts are fixing the issue temporarily, it sounds like it might be an issue with the firmware and behavior of your device under certain conditions.  Have you checked to see if there any firmware updates available from the device manufacturer?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not checked, i will check within the next few hours and give you an update.

Sorry this didn't help.

No firmware updates, it is updated. If needed, i have a cisco valet plus router. Friend has linsky's router. Both have same ISP.

Sorry this didn't help.

It may be an issue with your friend's router. Have him try all the things you have, if he hasn't already.

Sorry this didn't help.

He isnt tech savvy at all, so i will try to slowly explain this too him, i will let you know when i figure it out.

Sorry this didn't help.