Have the mods been too draconian?

I'm pretty darn sure that many of you have noticed that many threads on these message boards have recently been butchered. And seemingly many regular posters being banned for however many days, weeks or months for various transgressions. No doubt some people did step over the line and maybe insult each other, hell, maybe I did. If so I'd certainly apologies to anyone who felt aggrieved. I'm not so uptight that I can't say sorry to someone.

My main concern though is what has been removed from threads. We're not talking about insults, or aggressive posts here. We're talking about fairly civil and grown up debate about many issues. I have not felt anyone on these message boards has 'crossed' any line with me personally, and while I don't always agree with what everyone has to say, I do want to hear what everyone has to say and I respect people for having an opinion.

It seems to me, and I'm sure many of you too, that these 'amendments' to these threads were far too convenient for Microsoft in some respects. Especially considering that there was evidenced proof that the PS4 launch titles aren't struggling to meet 1080p natively... not that it actually matters in the long or short run. I have no doubt that I received a ban, and that many of my posts were removed because they contained factual evidence that might be construed as being slightly negative for the Xbox One.

Well if you can't have open and honest debate with FACTS on a forum what is the point in them? Maybe I should have expected their to be a one-eyed bias in the modding on the Official Xbox Forums, but coming from the other lots forums where they allow freedom of speech I do find a sad indictment on how things are run here.I have absolutely no faith that what I'm reading on here isn't the mauled and modded versions of events.

I've had it explained that maybe it is because conversations can go off topic... well to that I say poppycock! Conversations are organic beasts that often weave their way around many different things as we communicate with each other. The vast majority of pretty much any forums topics will eventually stray away from the original topic. Doesn't mean it isn't still a valuable part of the discussion.

I'd be genuinely interested in hearing what people thought of the way the mods have handled things recently, because I think they've handled them appallingly badly.

PS. please try to keep it on topic so they can't shut the thread down ;)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

maybe if you weren't so angry all the time ;)

---

i don't know, it may not even be the mods with the problem, but someone higher up handing down the orders.

The forum rules tell you if you wanna question a moderators decision, you should PM the moderator.

You are not supposed to create a thread to ask this.

"Do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, remove a post edited by a moderator or post about forum moderation decisions.If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator."

You find this here:

forums.xbox.com/.../515277.aspx

[quote user="Zero Divided"]

maybe if you weren't so angry all the time ;)

---

i don't know, it may not even be the mods with the problem, but someone higher up handing down the orders.

[/quote]

PMSL

Maybe, but I'm normally fairly civil and accurate in my communications. I'll admit that the idiocy of some posters on here does wind me up, that's on both sides. And I get that those people who want to turn every thread into a slanging match or a discussion on how the Kinnect will spy on you are annoying. But I genuinely do not think I'm one of those posters, and neither are many of the other posters who have had their comments removed. It just seems way over the top, and in effect you can't really challenge the mods on it because they don't warn you, they don't PM you, they just remove the stuff and issue bans. No evidence really to say they've themselves crossed the line. It's not healthy for any online community, so I think it is only fair to ask these questions in the open.

[quote user="HaloJolly"]

The forum rules tell you if you wanna question a moderators decision, you should PM the moderator.

You are not supposed to create a thread to ask this.

"Do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, remove a post edited by a moderator or post about forum moderation decisions.If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator."

You find this here:

forums.xbox.com/.../515277.aspx

[/quote]

Halo genuinely thanks for the link, but I've already read it. And if the mods had given me the common courtesy of communicating with me I'd have done the same with them. The way they've butchered and altered conversations on these forums recently has been too far I personally think. We can't point to the threads anymore and show with 'evidence' that they're actually the ones that have gone too far because 'snip' it has all gone. I mean what's the point in having forums if you are afraid people will express an opinion?

They may as well take the forums offline if they don't want people having conversations, because that's exactly what forums are for, conversations.

PS, I realise me teasing you over being a fangirl might have actually upset you, so if it has, again I apologise. ;)

I got banned, did my time and now I am back. Did I cross the line? Maybe, but the thing is it is their forum so they get to regulate what is posted. We can always go somewhere else to voice our opinion. :)

I haven't been on as much lately so I don't even know what threads/posts have been deleted? ...

I know there's been a lot of threads/posts on here that in my opinion that definitely should go, the regular ones where people get insulted etc ...

Then there's quite a lot of posts where the debate can become a little heated, especially when it ends up a sort of "Xbox One Vs PS4" but overall I've never seen anything or had something aimed at me that I took offence to and if I did I would just have a chuckle and move on. As for the PS4 talk, well when you have 2 consoles coming out together it's natural people will compare them, unless of course the Forum Rules ( Must admit I've not read them in quite a while ) say that being this is an Official Xbox Forum then PS4 talk is not allowed or frowned upon? ...

Unless the threads are way out of bounds (threats, sexual, racial, etc.) they shouldn't be deleted, but rather locked.

-

That gives people the opportunity to revisit them and give them another look. Then maybe they can see if they were out of control by what they said.

-

It also could serve as a learning tool on how to possibly rephrase things so folks won't get all spun up.

-

One of the biggest problem is people being too thin skinned and thinking an opposing viewpoint is an attack against them.

-

We should be able to compare things. It is an Xbox forum, but we as Xbox customers should be able to state our viewpoints whether is supports the "team" or not.

-

I am also guessing there are a handful that press the "report post" button just because they don't like the person who wrote it.

-

Lastly,  as I said elsewhere, it would be nice to see what guidelines the Mods are given. If it's up to their judgement, they better be able to be impartial and toss out what they think of the subject personally before they make a decision.

I have no opinion im not allowed lol

[quote user="Lord Dirt"]

I got banned, did my time and now I am back. Did I cross the line? Maybe, but the thing is it is their forum so they get to regulate what is posted. We can always go somewhere else to voice our opinion. :)

[/quote]

I vehemently disagree with that. Any public forum like this one isn't the 'mods' forum or the 'companies' forum it is the communities forum. The people who come here to posts their thoughts and to talk with other gamers, like minded or otherwise. And if that's not how the mods and Microsoft view this forum then I'd say there is zero point it exiting. Because it's all the people who post on here who make it what it is. Not them. Without us there is no forum.

[quote user="Lofty Who"]

I haven't been on as much lately so I don't even know what threads/posts have been deleted? ...

I know there's been a lot of threads/posts on here that in my opinion that definitely should go, the regular ones where people get insulted etc ...

Then there's quite a lot of posts where the debate can become a little heated, especially when it ends up a sort of "Xbox One Vs PS4" but overall I've never seen anything or had something aimed at me that I took offence to and if I did I would just have a chuckle and move on. As for the PS4 talk, well when you have 2 consoles coming out together it's natural people will compare them, unless of course the Forum Rules ( Must admit I've not read them in quite a while ) say that being this is an Official Xbox Forum then PS4 talk is not allowed or frowned upon? ...

[/quote]

There have been a lot of threads deleted. Some deservingly so because they degenerated into the my dads bigger than your dad nonsense they sometimes do. But far more worryingly is the fact that some genuinely interesting, totally nonpartisan discussions were removed. Whatever the forum rules are about posting about other companies product the Mods need to use some common sense. The reality is we have a totally unprecedented event happening in our industry, well unprecedented to the best of my knowledge. We essentially have the two heavy hitters in Microsoft and Sony going head to head on launch days mere weeks apart. That is bound to generate discussion comparing or talking about the two systems. People on both sides of the fence, and indeed those like me who are happily sitting on the fence are interested in it. As long as it stays civil, which for the most part it has I think they need to exercise some judgement. They haven't done that and I do think it is to the detriment of the community here.

[quote user="SirAngry"]

Halo genuinely thanks for the link, but I've already read it. And if the mods had given me the common courtesy of communicating with me I'd have done the same with them. 

[/quote]

So you want one of use to send you a PM and say "Oh please stop it, we would really hate to ban you or edit one of your posts" ?? That's not going to happen. The Code of Conduct, Terms of Use and Forum Guidelines govern these forums. We simply enforce those rules. By all means if you have a question feel free to PM any of the moderators or support staff if you wish.

[quote user="SirAngry"]

I vehemently disagree with that. Any public forum like this one isn't the 'mods' forum or the 'companies' forum it is the communities forum. The people who come here to posts their thoughts and to talk with other gamers, like minded or otherwise. And if that's not how the mods and Microsoft view this forum then I'd say there is zero point it exiting. Because it's all the people who post on here who make it what it is. Not them. Without us there is no forum.

[/quote]

You have to have a account and agree to the terms to use it.  We have rules here like every other forum out there. Yea, you can post your thoughts and talk with other gamers, as long as you are following the rules there is no issue. Like I said if you have questions feel free to PM one of us.