have MS used the new discs for any 360 games yet?

im talking about those discs that were sent out that were the halo reach game, the ones that were supposed to hold more data? just wondering cause i dont remember hearing anything else about these new discs.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

They've been in use for a while. I think Gears 3, Rage, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 all use it.

You can spot these new discs because they still spin in the disc drive for a time even if you have installed the game in question. Also, they are about a 1 gig larger than the old format (7 gigs or so compared to the old ones that usually topped out at around 6.7-6.9 gigs).

Dragon's Dogma is another one to use the xgd3 layout (they are still dual-layer dvd discs, they are just pressed with a different layout).

Newer discs use it, it makes more sense as they hold more data and work better.

Well, the only way the discs could hold more data, is if the laser diode was blue, like the Xbox HD-DVD external player etc.. (the Blue laser Diodes, have to be more focused in HD-DVD Drives too..)

I'll show an example of what I mean below..

The new disc format has been in use with every title, since the last major dashboard update.

The DVDs don't actually hold any more data (as dual-layer Xbox360 DVDs hold a standard 7.95GB), but Microsoft trimmed back some DRM sectors and updated drive firmware to be able to access the extra GB that freed up. The discs aren't physically any different. They're just accessed in a different way.

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]

Well, the only way the discs could hold more data, is if the laser diode was blue, like the Xbox HD-DVD external player etc.. (the Blue laser Diodes, have to be more focused in HD-DVD Drives too..)

[/quote]Or they change the layout.

The video part of the disc, what you see when putting the disc in a regular DVD player, used to be around 1gb in size. Microsoft greatly reduced that and as such freed up most of that space to be used for game data.

Also they now press data closer to the edge of the disc, which allows even more space to be used.

This is why they had a beta for the new disc layout (they sent people copies of Halo Reach on the new format), the update for them flashed the dvd drives firmware, and pirates can not write the discs correctly as a home burner can not write as close to the edge as the pressing allows. 

Yes, you are right voteDC & the Drives firmware, allows the disc to be read out further etc.. I wouldn't say, pirates "can not" write the disc format, on a normal drive either...

You would be naive, to think so...

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]

Yes, you are right voteDC & the Drives firmware, allows the disc to be read out further etc.. I wouldn't say, pirates "can not" write the disc format, on a normal drive either...

You would be naive, to think so...

[/quote]i HAS no idea what you mean Nano. Well obviously I do but I didn't think it a good idea to be mentioning how on the official Microsoft forum.

Well, people are not as stupid as you think & they could get that from your post, then you quote my post again etc.. ???

Being subtle obviously failed so I will explain in a little more detail.

-

Only one brand of drive can write the new disc type correctly and then only if it is a certain revision, as well as being flashed with its own custom firmware.

-

Any other drive is unable to write to the edge of the disc and so will result either in a failed burn or a game that will run but with errors.

-

I am unwilling to go into any more detail as the official Xbox forum is not the place to be discussing this. If you want any more information Nano please feel free to PM me.