Have an Avatar on Xbox but can't connect it to my existing Microsoft Live Account

I recently got an XBox and have set it up with a profile for me and have used it for a month. I decided it was time to connect to XBox Live where I've had a Live account for many years. I finally figured out how to do so from the XBox but it created a new profile with a different name (the name I setup from the account on my PC). That's not what I want. How do I assign my online account to my existing XBox profile? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 179 Applies to:

Hi you are going to need to transfer your Microsoft email to the account you want to have it assigned to, I will leave a link at the bottom on how to do this. But because you now have a different gamertag associated with your email you want to use you will have to change that one first with a dummy email address as you can only assign 1 gamertag to an email.

support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response. I'll look into the steps the link provides and see how it goes when I get back to the box. I tried to sign in with my existing profile. I think it wouldn't let me since my name "Dad" didn't match my online name.

If I do this switch, will the association replace my existing profile with the online one and cause me to lose all my existing awards?

Luke Chung, Microsoft MVP
President
FMS, Inc.
http://www.fmsinc.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Luke! Your rewards will not merge from both accounts, but the awards you have earned on the existing Xbox LIVE profile will be unaffected.

Sorry this didn't help.