Has anyone been banned from XBOX live for using aftermarket hard drives?

I bought a 4gb system.  I wanted to play Battlefield 3 online but it wouldn't let me download a highly recommended "HD pack" update for the game to the 4gb flash memory in the xbox even though the HD pack was only 1.5gb. I got a message saying it "must be stored on an official microsoft hard drive".

I've found aftermarket hard drives for sale that aref fully compatible but I've read some talk of possibly being banned from live for using these.  My question is;

Has anyone actually been banned for using these?  Not could be or would violate microsoft agreement but someone who has actually been banned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 162 Applies to:

Any hardware that is not OEM or license for use on the 360 console can result in a Console ban.

Yes users have been ban for all kinds of reasons.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/2366.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So unless someone proves to you that someone else who has used an aftermarket hdd was console banned you are going to run the high risk of getting your console banned just so you can save a few bucks? When you get console banned you will be spending much more than the price of a 'cheap' hdd to replace it with another console.

Go out and spend the $100 (less if you shop around) and buy the OFFICIAL MS HDD for the console. The only two made for the slim is the 250 and 320Gb.

Removing the old HDDs from their casing, for use in a 360 S console or other reason, is against the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, hardware tampering and modification. Modifying your hardware can lead to LIVE account suspensions and/or console bans.

In addition, discussion of this subject on the forums is against our Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct, and as such may result in a suspension or ban from the forums or the Xbox LIVE service itself.

From the Terms of Use:

12.  Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.  Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/4558.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Juan, there are plenty of 3rd party hardware such as headsets, controllers, wireless adapters, memory units, etc that Microsoft allows you to use.  I don't see why a hard drive would be different assuming it functions as intented by Microsoft (aka doesn't allow the use of hacks, edited saves, etc).  However only an official Microsoft hard drive will have certain functionality, such as playing original Xbox games.

-

Tem, removing the casing on a hard drive is not really disassembling hardware, as hardware would be considered the hard drive itself.  For example, you can remove the casing on a 360 and not get banned as long as you don't attempt to modify the hardware itself.  Obviously this will void the warranty and is not recommended, but removing a plastic case is not the same as taking apart the individiual components that makeup a 360.  I know one of the support agents has made this claim in the past but you have to remember that the agent is NOT a member of the enforcement team.

-

In short, until an actual XBLPET member comments on these questions, which is extremely unlikely, then we won't truly know for certain.  I however, would recommend erring on the side of caution and not take the chance if Xbox LIVE is that important to you.  Attempting to save $20-50 could potentially result in a console ban, then you have to spend at least an extra $200 on a new Xbox to be able to play online again.  And on top of that, there is a dark side to "cheap" hard drives where you may scammed by receiving a faulty hard drive or worse, you may get a thumb drive in a plastic case with lead weights that shows a false amount of storage space.  Just do yourself a favor and buy an actual MS one.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Gob1zku"]Juan, there are plenty of 3rd party hardware such as headsets, controllers, wireless adapters, memory units, etc that Microsoft allows you to use.[/quote]Those are all licensed accessories.[quote]I don't see why a hard drive would be different[/quote]There are no licensed third party HDDs.[quote]Tem, removing the casing on a hard drive is not really disassembling hardware, as hardware would be considered the hard drive itself.[/quote]Microsoft's been quite clear that opening a HDD shell is considered system tampering.

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought a used microsoft 250 gb hdd for $80 from a store called Gamers, and that is for the original 360. With the 320 gb hdd out for the slim it be possible places have used 250's for sale atm for them.

Sorry this didn't help.

ok so i know this is old but i called tech support and they said that using a third party drive is ok as long as i don't modify it so its simple if you pop it in and it works than everything is ok chances are flashing it counts as modding it so just don't do that

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this is a glitch with the game. I know when Halo Reach first came out People had the same problem. As for the after market or non OEM flash drive, Its does not violate Microsoft's agreement. I believe they even had an update to allow 3rd party drives. however  the  xbox will only recognize up to 16gb. Even if your dive is larger.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to clarify before I lock the thread (as it is an older thread that is more of a discussion, rather than a support inquiry): 

You may use third party hardware, provided it does not function differently in any way than official Microsoft certified hardware. However, please note: use any *any* unofficial or unlicensed hardware or accessories (hard drives, etc) is at your own risk, and will void your warranty.

As a further point, any attempt to open the console or hard drive casing is a violation of the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and may result in enforcement action, and will certainly void your warranty. The best bet is to use certified or licensed products, and never attempt to disassemble any part of the console or it's accessories. 

Thanks! :)  

Sorry this didn't help.