Hard Drive transfer questions.

i got a new "old" 250GB hard drive with cable for xmas and i have some questions on how exactly do i go about doing it, and please dont send me that link on xbox.com telling me on how to do it. i have seen it and it does not go into much details.

1. first anyone know the BEST video on youtube on how to transfer old style to old style HDD's?

2. do i have to unplug my ethernet cable as well as anything attached to the usb's?

3. should i move my videos to a flash drive before i transfer? i read somewhere that having videos is the reason why it shows "corrupted files" once it has finished transfering.

4. i have some arcade games on a flash drive, can i put them back on the new hard drive or is there some licence thing that wont let me?

and lastly what are the chances that i will lose some stuff in the transfer? will i have to redownload some things from my history? and how exactly does something qualify to be "corrupted" by having something not fully downloaded?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Data transfer cable do not transfer between two ols style HDDs, they only transfer between an old and a new style. The way I'd go about doing it is to save everything onto flash drives/computer/other starage device, then put in your new hard drive, then put everything on. You should be able to transfer arcade games, and it's unlikely you'll lose anything in the transfer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Goku1552"]1. first anyone know the BEST video on youtube on how to transfer old style to old style HDD's?[/quote]Why would you use YouTube as any sort of authoritative source for anything?[quote]2. do i have to unplug my ethernet cable as well as anything attached to the usb's?[/quote]No.[quote]3. should i move my videos to a flash drive before i transfer? i read somewhere that having videos is the reason why it shows "corrupted files" once it has finished transfering.[/quote]If you are just changing HDDs, it does not matter. If you are moving consoles, rented videos do not work after being moved to another console.[quote]4. i have some arcade games on a flash drive, can i put them back on the new hard drive or is there some licence thing that wont let me?[/quote]If you bought them from Marketplace, yes. If they came with the flash drive, probably not.[quote]and lastly what are the chances that i will lose some stuff in the transfer?[/quote]It happens, especially to brand new HDDs that have never been used before. It's best not to Move or Transfer. It's better to take the time and Copy.[quote]will i have to redownload some things from my history?[/quote]You can...[quote]and how exactly does something qualify to be "corrupted" by having something not fully downloaded?[/quote]Data errors, but that's usually not an issue.

Since Spring, 2010, the HDD transfer process has been largely unnecessary. After attaching the drive and cable to the console, cancel all the transfer dialog boxes. Go back into System Settings, Memory, and you'll see a Transfer Cable device, complete with its own little icon. That's the drive on the transfer cable. You can Copy or Move data to and from that device just as you with with any other storage device.

Take 15-30 minutes and manually Copy whatever you want from your exsting HDD to the new HDD sitting on the Transfer Cable. Only Move things that have no other option (profiles, certain save game data). This way, you'll end up with two copies of your data, one on the old HDD, one on the new HDD. If anything goes wrong with the new HDD, you'll only have lost the things you Moved.

Sorry this didn't help.

now when you say " brand new HDDs that have never been used before" does that mean that are fresh out of the box? will i have a better chance of no corruptions if i put the 250gb in to test it out before i transfer? or is it best to do it without putting it in my xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

also in the instruction book it says you can only transfer data from one HDD to another HDD only once, does this mean once i move my 20GB to my 250GB i wont be able to move the 250GB over to a slim or "720"?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Goku1552"]will i have a better chance of no corruptions if i put the 250gb in to test it out before i transfer?[/quote]It's not a corruption issue, it's a hard drive dying issue. HDDs follow a bell curve for reliability. A bunch fail early in their lifecycle. If they make it past that point they're usually good until the end of their rated lifespan. Don't rely on any HDD you buy unless you've run it for a few days to get some service hours on it.[quote]also in the instruction book it says you can only transfer data from one HDD to another HDD only once, [/quote]They're referring to transferring data. The transfer process is a Move operation - data is copied to the new device and then deleted from the source device. You can't transfer it again because it's not there as it was erased. This is why I do not recommend using any of the Transfer options/dialogs. Manually Copy what you want between storage devices.

Sorry this didn't help.

ok but how do i "copy and move" stuff like gamer profiles, system items and music (ripped from cd)? there is no option to to copy and move them. i only see the Y button that says Transfer Content or Delete.

is there some video tutorial on how to copy and move instead of transfering? i dont think im getting it the grip of it in words.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some things cannot be Copied (like your profile). As the master copy of your profile is stored on Live servers, this isn't an issue. Either Transfer the profile or just re-download your profile after switching to the new HDD.

System Items are system-specific. Do not Transfer them.

Music cannot be Copied. As you presumably have the original CDs to rip from again, do a Transfer. Your backup is the original CDs.

Sorry this didn't help.

so if i have no HDD inserted and go to storage the system items will still be there?

will they be on the new HDD if i transfer all content like in the book instead of copy and moving?

Sorry this didn't help.