hard drive transfer problem

I have an old xbox 360 with a 120gb hard drive. It got the 3 red ring of death. I then got a new 4gb xbox 360 and the microsoft transfer cable. When i do all the steps suggested for the transfer process to work, the new 360 recognizes the transfer cable and hard drive, but says that I have to configure it before I can go any further. Which it also says will remove everything on the storage device. What do i do now??

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi, do not proceed with configuring the drive. Is your transfer cable a genuine Microsoft cable, I believe it may not be which is why you see the message to configure your hard drive. You will lose everything on that hard drive if you continue and possibly make it unusable as an xbox hard drive. The Microsoft transfer cable should never ask you to configure the hard drive ( not that it can talk mind you but you get what I mean )

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This transfer cable is gray and says Microsoft on the back of it. so its a genuine product. Is there anther way to transfer my data?

Sorry this didn't help.

a real MS cable will NOT ask you to configure your drive, if you were to configure the drive it would wipe that drive and turn it into a USB flash drive and would NEVER be usable as a 360 hard drive anymore.  the bootleg cables can share the same casings and look just like the real deal did it have holographic decal on it the real cable has that I believe.

Sorry this didn't help.

You could use a USB memory stick, these days what with high speed broadband it's not such an issue to simply download any content you may have on your profile. Your gamertag can be downloaded, all your download content can be downloaded, your saved games are the things you need to look out for. Here's a link or two you may find useful.

-

support.xbox.com/.../manage-games-data

-

support.xbox.com/.../profile-move-delete

-

support.xbox.com/.../download-content-history

Sorry this didn't help.

I knew I'd forgotten something so here it is better late than never

-

support.xbox.com/.../download-content

-

That link will explain about the license transfer you will need to do on your new console.

Sorry this didn't help.