Hard Drive questions!

Hey guys, I have a question regarding how HDD works nowadays.

I recently got a Slim 4GB. Being the clumsy guy I am, I thought "Bah, I'mma just play gears 3 anyways"

However.. One DLC filled almost all of it. And I'm very interested in buying Arcade games (something I realized later)

So it struck me, that I can use USB memories/external HDDs for this?`

Can I use regular USB or External HDDs for everything to the Xbox console? DLC, Saves, etc? If so, which would you recomend of the HDDs for a nice price? (or if you think the regular Xbox HDD is better?)

Secondly, what happens if I delete a DLC or Arcade game?

Can I just download it again as usual? Or do I have to pay for it again then? And does whatever reply I get to this question, does that regard all of the content, or just pieces of it?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I reliazed I wrote a lot here, but it's basicly just 2-3 questions =)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey there Jointar! I understand you're interested in using USB storage with your new console. This is a fantastic idea if all you want to do is save games and download some DLC. Here's the basics: you'll need a USB device that is at least 1gb, you'll need to ensure it's formatted to FAT32, and then configure it on the console. You can use up to 16gb per USB device, and have two devices in use at one time. You can get all the details in our USB Storage Guide (forums.xbox.com/.../153178.aspx).

As for deleting your content, you are able to download your purchased games and add-ons again, free of charge, from your Download History. This can be found under Settings Hub > Accounts > Download History or here on Xbox.com (live.xbox.com/.../History). If you are looking for something recent, the console method is fine. However, if you want to filter and sort your previous downloads, the website version has some more options.

I know that's probably a lot of information, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You guys should really talk to the local dealers of gaming. I was almost about to buy an entire 320 gb. Had I done that I would have been so pissed right now.

So the USB storage device and be used for anything? No limits?

And it doesn't affect stuff like, when I play DLC or something. It doesn't lag or anything? The USB device is just as good as a regular HDD?

Thanks for the current reply. Hoping to see one more =D

Sorry this didn't help.

The USB storage is good for storage, yes. There are some games that do require an HDD; I believe you need one for Halo multiplayer, but please consult the individual game for requirements. Also Xbox Original games require a HDD. And as I said before you can use up to 16gb per device and up to two devices at a time, so you're obviously limited in space compared to a full HDD.

It sounds like USB storage might work for you in this instance, but here's a couple things to consider. If you plan on playing Xbox Original games, games that require a HDD, or want to have more games installed than 32gb without swapping out USB devices, it might be worth your while to just get the HDD now. Hope this helps, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.