Hard Drive Issues

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a 250gb Hard drive (Not the slim version) for my xbox 360 console (also, non-slim). I used a data transfer cable to transfer my data from my old 20gb hard drive to my new 250gb one. Everything was going well, after about 1 hour it had finished. I then plugged in my new hard drive in to the top of the xbox, booted up the machine and found....Nothing. There was nothing on the hard drive. It didn't even recognize that it was connected. So I then plugged the data transfer cable back into the machine and connected up to 250gb hard drive to it (I also completely unplugged the 20gb one). Bingo, all my accounts were on there, previously downloaded games and everything from the previous 20gb hard drive. The problem was, is that it said that there was only 2.5gb of space left. I have only taken up 13.5gb worth of downloads on it and it is a new 250gb hard drive. I assume this is because, using a data transfer cable, you can only use up to 16gb of space? So I once again plugged my 250gb hard drive in to the top of the console and...again, nothing.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong because I payed alot of money for my new hard drive and I am really peeved that it isn't working.

Thanks in advance,

oO Eafy Oo

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

It appears you used a third party transfer cable and ignored the screen that asked you if you wanted to format the HDD for use with the 360. The 250GB HDD is now a 16GB USB Memory Unit. It cannot be converted back into a 360 HDD.

The only officially supported 250GB HDD (outside possibly a used HDD) for the original 360 console comes with everything needed to do a transfer, including the official transfer cable.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hi

i have a simlar problem, a while ago a droped my original 120gb hdd so i replaced it with a 20gb hdd all was fine, i today have been and brought another 120gb hdd and use an original transfer cable that was sent to my brother when he upgraded my hdd now only says its 16gb and will not work, after reading the internet it seems thousands of people have been having the same problem , what are microsoft doing about these issues, do i get a replacment hdd and what do i do next?

Sorry this didn't help.

These issues are caused by an unlicensed or third party transfer cable, or an unlicensed or third party hard drive. Please review our sticky on Unlicensed or Third Party Transfer Cables, here: forums.xbox.com/.../14226.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

If you steel looking for a solution. i a have the solution to repair your hard drive in 2 minute it will be like before (size ) just email me

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

pretty sure that is against the forum rules as you are discussing a type of self repair to a damaged drive (formatted via 3rd party transfer cable).

Sorry this didn't help.