hard drive issue

so today i got a 500 gig hard drive to attach to my xbox and after it configured it showed that i only have 15.9 gigs free, surely it didint use 484 gigs to configure, do i truely only have 15 gigs to use or is this just an error on my xbox

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

The Xbox 360 will only use 16 GB of an attached USB device, HDD or flash drive. Also, you can only attach two of them at a time, for a total of 32 GB of USB-attached storage at any time. (No, partitioning a drive won't make more available. Those are the limits.) The console probably also formatted your entire HDD as FAT32, which might not be what you want if you need to store large files on the non-Xbox part of the drive.

If you want more storage than that, you need to buy an official, Microsoft HDD for the console.

Ive also had this problem, i bought a xbox HDD and when i go to transfer data an error comes up sayin it cannot be correctly formated, it may be somthing to do with my tranfer cable or do i need a disc in the xbox tray to format the HDD first.