Hard Drive Format Question

Hi,

I have a question regarding formatting my hard drive. I haven't been able to connect to LIVE for months now. I have tried every possible solution, spent hours chatting online to help, posted on the forums, and nothing works. Believe me, I have tried everything. Well nearly. I haven't formatted my hard drive. I consider it a last resort. So here I am.

I was going to transfer all my content to USB as a back up. I only have a 20 gig console and have only used about 10 gig, so a 16 gig USB will suffice. My main question is; will I be able to transfer all my XBLA games onto USB as well, in the content transfer. The reason I ask is because, if this attempt to restore my Xbox LIVE fails, I have no way of getting those XBLA games back onto my console.

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hi, any content that you have ever downloaded on an account will be shown in settings>account>download history for free downloading so you won't lose anything regarding that, copying the games over to the USB stick may cause you some issues.

-

I don't see formatting your hard drive fixing your connection issue to be honest but of course you never know until you try it. What exactly is the issue with your connection ?

When the going gets tough find something easier to do.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey, thank you for responding. The main issue is I can't get back online to re-download everything. This issue with connection is a long drawn out affair. Since the last major update in October 2012, I have had issues connecting. Turning the modem on and off used to work, but now nothing does. I done it all, like I said, help chat, forums, contacting my Internet provider. Tried solutions like manually entering ip addresses etc, dhcp is on, mtu is set at appropriate level, internet is more then fast enough, deleting caches. The difficult part is, no one can pin point the issue. Every time I run a connection test, the red X is in a different spot. Not to mention receiving different error codes (800705b4, 80072ee), one of which relates to Windows Media Centre, which I'm not even running! The only time it does connect, it will say "Some content is temporarily unavailable", but I know LIVE is up and running by checking.

Anyhow, I won't bore you with that stuff.

Thank you for your help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi wonder,

Silly question (because i didnt see you say you have tried it)

Have you tried deleting you PROFILE ONLY from your hard drive and redownloading the profile?

-

Another idea do you have another Xbox live account on the console? can that account connect to live?

Sorry this didn't help.

Something else I see you maybe didn't try is restoring the network settings on your console to the factory defaults. To do that go to settings>system>network settings, select your network then select configure network and finally additional settings.

-

You should see the option to restore the network settings to factory defaults. Do that, power off the console and remove the mains power from your modem/router, wait two minutes, power the modem/router back up and once you have a connection power the console on again.

-

If you're using a wireless connection does trying a wired connection help at all, can you connect directly to your modem if you have one, are you connecting through your PC's internet connection. I don't see your connection issue being anything major. There is one heck of a networking genius who frequents the connecting to live section in particular, he goes by the tag of Shad0wmanUK

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, done all that..., many times! Restored everything to default every time a suggestion fails, to start all over again. Also unplugged every possible cable that connect to modem of the Xbox. Even tried different Ethernet cables! Nothing. I've got an older Xbox so wired connection is what I'm using already. See my dilemma?!

Thank you for forwarding me onto Shad0wmaUK though. I'll see what they can come up with!

Sorry this didn't help.

I suppose you already checked the firmware for your modem/router is fully up to date ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe so. I have checked all the setting in my modem and put them into the Xbox. When it comes to changing settings in my modem, I am reluctant, because every other device in my household, whether connect or wireless is working (e.g. Laptops, smart phones e.t.c.) like normal. Hence being here and posting comments! With the Xbox, it was like perfect one day, bad the next. And it all went downhill after that major update.

By the way, thanks for listening to all this!

Sorry this didn't help.