Hard drive click of death?

So about a month ago I downloaded Elders Scroll online. About an hour into playing I hit a loading screen that takes for ever and thats when my Xbox one began to make a clicking sound from the right back corner. Ever since then while playing ESO and Destiny it will crash on me during loading screens after about an hour of gameplay everyday. then if I restart the console I hit the green start up screen and that takes forever. I usually just end up turning it back off and waiting at least an hour, then it'll work fine for an hour or two. I notice if I'm in a party or ppaying with friends on destiny it's more likely to crash then if I'm playing alone. 

would getting an external hard drive and putting all my game on that help at all by reducing the stress on my xbox?

I'll try some other games tomorrow to see if crashes with them.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 370 Applies to:

If you are hearing a clicking noise coming from your internal hard drive.  This click would sound like a hard metal on metal click I would suggest sending in your Xbox for repair.  You can do that here: support.xbox.com/.../getting-your-product-serviced

If you are unsure of the clicking you can always try a factor reset and see if that corrects it, however if the sound you describe is what I think it is your HD may be on its way to crashing.

While moving your games to an external will keep them downloaded and off the internal once that internal drive crashes the external will be useless as the Xbox OS resides on the internal drive.  Repair it as soon as possible.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.