Hard drive and Abilities to play games.

Hello,

I've been having some trouble with a new (and Microsoft-official) HDD hard drive that I bought. For some reason certain games (Halo 4, Battlefield 3, and Devil May Cry 4) seem to not play when this hard drive is installed. I keep getting a disk read error, and I have checked the disks, and there are little scratches. When another hard drive was placed in, these games played fine. One of the biggest issues I have though, is that I recently downloaded Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom as a Game on Demand, and even though it is directly on the hard drive, it will still treat it as an unreadable disk, and kick me out, yet it does not happen to another On Demand game that I have downloaded. I'm wondering if this is just an issue with these games or if I'm having an issue with the hard drive all together. I would really appreciate any help with this, as it has been driving me up a wall these past couple weeks.

Thanks for your guy's time.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Definitely sounds like the HD is faulty.  I would return it to where you bought it from and get a replacement if that is possible.  If you still have another hardrive try downloading Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom onto that with your profile just to see if it gives any error.  Either way if you can still return that thing get a new one ASAP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you can play games without the HDD is connected, then yes it is a faulty one. Return it if it is under warranty.

Sorry this didn't help.

well there is a possibility that the hdd has faulty updates on it and needs to be reformated

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Untamedbeast996"]well there is a possibility that the hdd has faulty updates on it and needs to be reformated[/quote]No. Clearing the system cache and/or deleting updates from the specific game folder for a title will take care of that.

As others have stated, the problems he's describing are due to a failing HDD. As the games cannot tell they're installed to HDD, trouble reading the HDD manifests as a disc read error for an installed title.

Sorry this didn't help.