Handheld release?

I'm just curious, does anyone think that Microsoft will release a handheld Xbox system?  The new addition of the Vita to the Playstation line is quite unique, and the fact that you can use it as a PS3 controller and take your game with you had me in awe when I first saw it.  I've just been wondering if Microsoft would release anything similar to that nature in the future.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Would been nice to see  something like this released , but  MS aren't focusing on that right now , So No for now and maybe near future we have something =D

Handheld get yourself a WP7 and it's got Xbox games and you can earn achievements on the go ......not the same I know ( but there also the new " Surface Tablet" that I  think has Xbox-Live games you can play from it )

I'm not sure if the company I'm with supports the WP7, but you're telling me you can sign in with your Xbox LIVE account and earn mobile achievements with it? And the tablet wont arrive until October, but by the looks of the reviews I've seen it seems great.  I may have to purchase one.

[quote user="Statsheet"]

I'm not sure if the company I'm with supports the WP7, but you're telling me you can sign in with your Xbox LIVE account and earn mobile achievements with it? And the tablet wont arrive until October, but by the looks of the reviews I've seen it seems great.  I may have to purchase one.

[/quote]

Yes you can earn cheevos and gamerscore with WP7.

As for me, I am not really interested in mobile gaming that much. At least not enough to want a Xbox handheld.

You could use the original PSP as a Playstation controller, so using the Vita as a controller isn't that unique.

Looks like Windows Phone 8 is the "handheld platform"

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[/quote]

I just hope that existing Windows Phone 7.5 will be able to upgrade to 8.  I have not seen any info regarding that you can or cannot.  Maybe I have just not found anything yet, and here's for hoping!  :)

[quote user="SparkStormrider"]

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[/quote]

I just hope that existing Windows Phone 7.5 will be able to upgrade to 8.  I have not seen any info regarding that you can or cannot.  Maybe I have just not found anything yet, and here's for hoping!  :)

[/quote]Sorry, but the answer is no. However there is a good reason for it. Still, there is an update coming that will upgrade WP7 to 7.8 and include at least SOME features of WP8.

WP8 uses the same kernel that Windows 8 has, so there is a substantial amount of differences between them. Yeah, it does suck that there is no upgrade path, but is this really different than some iPhone or Android handsets?

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/windows-phone-summit-143485

[quote user="Statsheet"]

I'm just curious, does anyone think that Microsoft will release a handheld Xbox system?  The new addition of the Vita to the Playstation line is quite unique, and the fact that you can use it as a PS3 controller and take your game with you had me in awe when I first saw it.  I've just been wondering if Microsoft would release anything similar to that nature in the future.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

[/quote]As pointed out already, Windows Phone 8 is its handheld system.

The reality is that handhelds like Vita & 3DS are fast becoming irrevelent. Not to say they aren't bad systems, its just that they are fighting against the current of change. Mobile Phones are fast becoming just as (if not more) powerful than a dedicated handheld console. Not to mention that they are far more functional. The Vita being able to use a PS3 controller is really nothing to write home about. Windows Phone 8 has access to the same driver library that Windows does. So it supports things like the Xbox 360 controller, and many, many other peripherals. Then again, that just shows how less relevant dedicated devices are quickly becoming.

I'm still excited to see the difference between Xbox Companion and Smart Glass,  in operation.  The WP 7 has one draw back of being a major gaming device.  Battery life.  I can't drain my battery just cause I wanna play games,  It's my PHONE.

It but this is quickly going off topic for me.  

-

Windows Phone 8 UI looks sick.  Hopefully with some faster processors we can see some beautiful games.

-

Back on topic,  I wonder were Xbox controllers fall in all this.

[quote user="Duke Taunus"]

WP8 uses the same kernel that Windows 8 has, so there is a substantial amount of differences between them. Yeah, it does suck that there is no upgrade path, but is this really different than some iPhone or Android handsets?

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/windows-phone-summit-143485

[/quote]

Android is a mess so no point in discussing or comparing it to WP and iOS. Apple supports all iOS devices for minimum of 3 years. 3GS may not get all the goodies of iOS 6 but the majority of apps will run on it (provided the hardware supports it). Win 8 is completely different.  MS changed the kernel which is the very core of an OS and the current WP7 doesn't seem to have the hardware spec to support WM8. I think they are also introducing bucket loads of new standards, which hopefully would mean users don't have to wait for the manufactures to release the update. that's one of the advantages of having an iOS. Users have access to the OS directly from Apple and iPhones, iTouch and iPads all offer the option to completely reinstall the firmware as well as the OS if things go wrong. It's like installing BIOS/EFI and OS on a fresh hardware. Not sure WM8 is going to achieve all that but we don't have wait long to find out