Halo Reach - Eternally "Looking for player..."

What Country/State/Province do you live in? WA, USA
Modem brand & model number: Motorola Surfboard SB5101
Router brand & model number: Linksys E3000 
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired - I have tried both wireless and wired
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA2
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Internal
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes
Is NAT Type Open? Yes
Any Error Codes you encounter:  NONE
What type of internet do you have? Cable 
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Broadstripe
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen?  No Errors
    Network Status

Network: Connected

Internet: Connected 
        Xbox LIVE: Connected 

I get no errors, everything seems to be working fine.  I can view netflix just fine, etc.  It is just Halo that has stopped working.  A couple of weeks ago I went through the article about opening my NAT.  I successfully did that and now no longer get the error message that my NAT is not open.  I have played for about 3 weeks like this, but I didn't really notice any difference.

I noticed the problem about a week ago.  One night the connections seemed to slow a little between games.  By slowing I mean that setting up a match was slower and slower.  Then the next night it would not set up a match.  I waited for almost an hour while it said "Looking for player...".  Every once in a while a player or two would pop up.  The would stay there for a minute or two and then either they would drop off or I would get a message about "Restaring search".  Tonight there are 10,000 players in Team Swat, but I can't create a match.  A couple of times a player has poped on the list for a minute or two but then they leave or I get the "Restarting search".  Restrictions are set to "NONE (FASTEST)" and nothing is set in psych profile.

In Halo when I look at Network Status I see Upstream Bandwidth: Warning, NAT Rating: Open, Packet Loss Rate: Low/Excellent.  When I do a speed test (speakeasy.net) I get 16 Mbit Download and 2 Mbit upload consistenly. 

So, for a couple of days now I cannot make any Multi Player connections.  Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Did you participate in the Spring Preview program where you would have received this disc? If so, then you should be able to get a code. If you don't have a code, you can contact Phone Support: support.xbox.com/contact-us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately I did not get a code.  I think it was because I was not part of the current beta so I don't get the Beta emails anymore.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, that would make sense. You should have been issued a code to replace your disc. Can you check the email address associated with your account that you used for the Dashboard Preview? :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm - looks like all my problems are because I have a disc they gave us in the Kinect Beta.  Apparently the Halo Reach "Preview Disc" is causing all my troubles.

Sorry this didn't help.

Setting the router back to default does not explain why it would work for 3 weeks with this configuration.  However, as a troubleshooting step I tried it.

The easiest way for me to remove all the port forwarding was to set the XBOX to "Automatic" to get an IP address.  This is because all the port forwarding was only for a specific IP address which I manually set my XBox for.  So setting my XBox to Automatic effectivly set me back to default settings as far as the router was concerned.

Once I connected with the Auto IP address I ran the network test and it ran fine.  I then logged onto XBox Live and it did just fine.  I then poped the Halo Reach CD in and as it was loading I got the "This software requires an update" which of course gives you the option to install the update or exit.  So I installed the update.  Disaster - now I cannot load Halo at all.  I get a "Version Mismatch", "This game has been updated to an incompatible version" and refers me to www.xbox.com/support (a support site that could only be less helpful if it didn't exist at all).

Now I seem to be up a creek without a paddle as I can find no way to even start the game now.

Sorry this didn't help.

it will be the REACH server going down.it's doing it to me also..

Sorry this didn't help.

And it's only happening in Reach? If you reset your router's settings to default, does that eliminate the issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes - I turned them both off for about 5 min and then turned the Modem on first and then the router.

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't notice you mentioning that you tried power cycling your modem and router; can you give that a quick try?

Sorry this didn't help.