Halo 4: Halo 4's Master Chief not the Chief you remember

From OXM UK =

He's a byword for endurance, the one constant in a universe rocked by Covenant invasion, but according to 343 Industries, Master Chief hasn't made the transition from Halo 3 to Halo 4 psychologically unscathed.

Eagle-eyed fans picked up on changes to the Chief's armour in the new game's E3 reveal trailer, noting in particular that his mighty Spartan codpiece is no more.

"There's some story behind his new look," explains studio boss Frank O'Connor in an E3 interview. "There are specific reasons why he looks the way he does and why some of his behaviours have changed. We'll see in good time." Halo 4 gets going some time after the previous game's conclusion, with the Chief's vessel drifting in space towards a "dark world". "A lot of things have changed in that intervening periods," O'Connor hints.

If character and setting have shifted, one thing Halo 4 aims to preserve is the feel of Bungie's original trilogy, with Microsoft Games Studios corporate vice-president Phil Spencer telling us that the new game "will live up to what fans fell in love with".

So, is changing the Main Character of the the Franchise that put Xbox on the gaming map a good idea, Its been a long time since players had control of the Chief, Halo 3 wasnt the real swan song we expected for the main cannon story....so, will 343 go full out to evolve the character as they see fit....I dont think its a bad idea but they cant change the character so much from what made him so popular in the first place

Can the Series be improved without Bungie's involvement?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Oh boy! Another darker sequel reboot thingy? I love those!

The Franchise does need a more darker edge to it, and 343 need to make the game look their own rather then just a copy of what Bungie did before....if that makes sense lol

I agree, they need something fresh.

Then they should make a Halo game not about Mister Chef.

Why, nothing wrong with playing the story featuring the main character of the Halo Series....Halo Wars was done without the Chief and the FPS format, it worked to a point. As long as the story captures the imagination of the player enough to make it a pleasure to play through, its still a viable character for the franchise

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]So, is changing the Main Character of the the Franchise that put Xbox on the gaming map a good idea?[/quote]

In a word, "Yes".

Remember all "HALO" really did was put a competant shooter in the hands of the masses for the first time.

When it launched it was very much the COD of it's day. 

Now the squealing kids playing "HALO" back in the day have grown up some and so have their expectations as to what they consider to be entertainment in a shooter.

Az

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]Can the Series be improved without Bungie's involvement?[/quote]Your question implies that 343 is comprised of people who had no involvement in the Original Pentalogy of Bungie's works. This is not true. Frankie was core to bungie, for a start

I'll be interested to see how they explain the changes to his character and appearance.

I for one can't wait...

[quote user="CosmicThoughts"]

I'll be interested to see how they explain the changes to his character and appearance.

[/quote]

I'm going to go with dodgy cryo unit did something that affected his mental state like it didn't sh8ut down his mental state completely so he was in a sort of sensory deprivation tank and the change of armour is also due to a dodgy cryo unit; it warped it the cold.

Be interesting to see how the new trilogy goes, I'm still wondering whether it'll be on the 360 or possibly MS' next console (If they announce it at E3 next year). Though I guess it's more likely that this will be on 360 but the next two is anyone's guess.

Well remember the last time we saw the Chief was in Halo 3, a game from 2007....given him a new fresh look (despite him being ln a Cryo Tube for who knows how many years so any physical changes would need to be explained if they go into that much detail lol) but I totally understand why they would want to give him a fresh look without changing it too much. I can see them using the whole "Cortana woke him up and they made upgrades based on what was found on the ship" route