Had to replace console, now can't access old account

Bear with me.  I am the parent of a son that went thru rehab this week when his console died.  He has replaced it and now we are having issues getting signed in.  It will ask for my live account name but once I signed in, it is giving us a gamertag that is not his.   Does this mean he has lost everything from the old system?  Is there a way to recover his old account using his gamertag name?   I am wondering now if I used an old email address since he's had this account for at least 2 years.   Any suggestions?   I don't want him to have to start over with a new account if there is an easier way to recover his old one.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi there.

You have no idea what the correct email could be? Has your son ever made any purchases on Xbox Live? Because if he did, you should get a receipt emailed to you.

If not, I would suggest calling Xbox Support at 1800-4MY-XBOX. When there are specific account/billing issues, they have been known to work some magic. They have helped me out of some binds in the past.

Good Luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You don't "sign in" on the new console.  You have to download the profile.  Signing in just ended up creating a new account with the old details.  Press the guide button on the controller (silver circle with green X) and select download profile.   Enter the proper details and you should be OK.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.