Hacked and Investigation Started--How to Tell if Account is Locked?

I got hacked (account migrated to Russia, points spent) yesterday.  I called CS and they started and investigation and said my account would be locked for up to 25 business days.

However, when I checked this morning on the console it still signed into live, and I can still log into Xbox.com.

Should I be worried that my account isn't locked and could still get hacked and have more charges (I changed the hotmail password associated with the account)?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I wouldn't be worried.  I reported my own account in a similar situation, and it took them 24-36 hours to lock it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hmmm

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a question that's actually had me worried. I called after discovering my account was hacked over 2 weeks ago. Just today I checked, and I was still able to sign in.

Sorry this didn't help.

If it has been 2 weeks, then I might be worried.  When you called did you fill an unauthorized access report?  If so did they give you a reference number?  Call back, use the reference number, and verify that the account was locked and unlocked, or whether it was never locked to begin with.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, they filed the report and gave me the number and everything. Hearing all these horror stories about how long it's taken has had me stressed, and I've called back at least once a week since. I've made sure to note that I still have access to the account, and they've never indicated it was abnormal. I'm gonna keep on top of them, though, I do NOT want to find myself still waiting a month from now.

Sorry this didn't help.

My account was compromised on 9/11/2011, and I notified XBox Live support the same day. I also was told my account was going to be locked, but I could log on to XBL for about 3 weeks before I could not sign in anymore - at this point I could not do any multiplayer or watch Netflix or ESPN or anything. The device will probably tell you something about your payment options not being valid - that's when you know your account is locked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you gotten access to your account back yet? How long after it got locked did it take them to finish everything?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, they called me a day after my account was truly locked, saying the investigation was put on hold until they got a different email address for me. Then they restarted the investigation. I called XBL support to make sure that the person that called me was actually from Microsoft, and at that time they said my account would be locked for longer because of the delay. They couldn't give me a specific time, not that I expected them to.

Just taking it day by day, now, but I fear it will be well into November before I get my account back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, that's anything but reassuring to hear. Good luck, hopefully they don't keep either of us waiting that long.

Sorry this didn't help.

I called them tonight.

They locked the ability to purchase on my account, but since it was migrated to Russia the system couldn't instantly suspend the whole account.  It has to be done manually which could take a few days.  But no points can be spent or anything charged to my card, so nothing to worry about.

I also got some info about what might be happening.  I asked how my dashboard etc. got put in Russian when I never lost my gamertag (never had to recover it, could always sign in).  He said some areas of Europe had started a policy of letting users migrate their account to a neighboring country rather than having to get a local account in the new country.  Apparently some hackers figured out how to exploit that and migrate other peoples accounts and spend money etc. with out transferring the gamertag to their console.

They're working on fixing the problem and preventing it from happening in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.