Hacked account. . . Xbox Live support seems to think I'm inconveniencing them with this.

First off, let's set some history. . . I've been a paying member of Xbox Live ever since there's been an xbox live.  I've had the same gamertag. . . ScooterMcFudden.  Imagine my surprise when one morning I go to sign on and my xbox informs me that my account is not valid on my own equipment.  I check my email and sure enough, several purchases have been made for MS Points.  I immediately call Xbox Live support and inform them of my hacked account and get told that they have locked my account, and have launched an investigation and will give me my account back, and refund my money and to expect an email with a 30 Xbox Live card to get my back online while I wait.  3 weeks later, still no email.  None, nada, nothing.  I decided to call again, and basically got told it's going to take 21 business days to complete the investigation and to take a flying leap until then.  I have 3 new games I have yet to play because well, what's the frikken point?  It's not like I can sign on.  I have now contacted my bank to get the charges reversed, because well, my faith in Xbox Live is now lacking.  I mean, I'm sure they have a crack team of investigators on file. . . Columbo, Quincy, Magnum PI, and hell, why not Jesus, and they can investigate the hell out of this if they want, but hey. . . in the process of your little investigation. . . HOW ABOUT YOU GIVE ME MY DAMN ACCOUNT BACK IN THE MEAN TIME?!?  I mean, does it REALLY need to be shut off pending the investigation?!?  Is my LOGGING ON FROM MY REGISTERED ADDRESS going to confuse you THAT MUCH?!?  AM I NOT THE CUSTOMER AND ALWAYS RIGHT UNTIL PROVEN NOT RIGHT?  GIVE ME MY DAMN ACCOUNT BACK, THEN SHOULD YOU FIND OUT MY ACCOUNT WASN'T HACKED AND I'M JUST SOME EVIL SCAMMER TRYING TO GET POINTS REFUNDED SHUT OFF MY ACCOUNT AND PROSECUTE ME!!  I MEAN HOLY HELL?!?  IS THIS REALLY HOW YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMER BASE?!?!?  DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS A GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE?!?  21 DAYS?!?!?  21 DAYS IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE TO YOU?!?!?!?!  REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  IT SHOULD TAKE MOMENTS!!!!  MINUTES!!!  MAYBE HOURS AT MOST!!!!  BUT A FRIKKEN MONTH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I can't be the only one that can see the problem with this!!!  Hell, when PSN went down at least they gave us games for our trouble and continuously kept us updated about the progress.  So far, I've had access to a service that I pay for denied, been mislead about the process it will take, can't stream netflix (another service I pay for) because I can't get access to the service I use to stream it on, I've had to cancel my card and wait to get a new one, so right now the only access I have to my money is during banking hours which is REALLY hindering in my day to day business including my job, and I was basically told by Xbox Live support that I'm inconveniencing them, because there's nothing they can do!!!!  Seriously, if this has happened to you speak out, in fact, scream as loudly as you can until this process get's revamped.  This is frikken redonkulous!!!!

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2018 Views 62 Applies to:

You were not 'hacked' as you put it.  There are many ways to lose access to your account but hacking is not one of them.  The situation with PSN is a different thing. 

Shouting on here isn't going to get you anywhere.  The support people can not fast track your account investigation. You're just going to have to wait it out.  There is nothing else you can do.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A UAI can take up to 30 business days to complete. While it may seem like a simple problem to solve it is more common than you wuold think because many people do not know how to keep their personal information, inlcuding e-mail and password, private. Thousands of people are compromised weekly and going through all of those cases will take time. That is why you just need to be patient.

And yes, using your account while they are trying to investigate it would slow things down and make the process take longer than it should.

What I don't understand is, if you want to play your new games, why not simply just create a new silver account and then play them? Problem solved temporarily. You do realize that you can access Netflix from your PC and/or any internet capable TV? So that argument is null.

There is nothing support can do for you until the investigation is complete. Calling them and pestering them about it before the 30 day limit would just be a waste of both your time and their time.

Please take a few moments to read up on Account Security for XBL-> http://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-live/how-to/account-security  As there are only a limited number of ways anyone can get hold of an XBL account:

There are a limited number of ways anyone can gain access to your account:

-you give out your personal information including e-mail and password (this is most commonly associated with people trying to obtain an illigitimate rank in a game without actually earning it)

-you are phished (this is common amongst the free ms points/generators that you see offered around the internet)

-you are socially engineered (this happens when a player engages another in seemingly senseless chit chat about their lives, but turns out to be a 20 question
session trying to gain your personal information so they can steal your account)

-you use an unsecure PC (typically you will want to have your encryption turned on if using wireless and be running a good anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-
malware program as well)

-you use the same e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you use for other websites/services (for maximum security you should be using an
e-mail address and password just for XBL that you do not use anywhere else)

-you thought it would be a good idea if your friends/family knew your log in information (you know, in case they want to play)

In addtition to the above the following are ways someone can get a hold of your credit/debit information:

-if you don't shred your mail (bank/credit statements) before you bin them.

-if you shop online using an unsecure PC.

-your bank/credit institution security is compromised (happened a few years ago to several banks)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Microsoft why not be honest with your replies?

"There are a limited number of ways anyone can gain access to your account:"

You forgot to mention that a worldwide hacker organization compromised an unknown number of Xbox Live logins, and put them on the web.

You also forgot to mention that Xbox Live Support has been duped by thieves into resetting login info on legitimate users accounts then allowing the thieves to have access to the accounts.

Here's a article written by a pro gamer.  Since he is in the gaming media Xbox was quick to work on his account.  

xbox360.ign.com/.../933332p1.html

Sure more than 50% is user fail when it comes to security, but Microsoft you are to blame as well for this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

the LEAST you can do is get your facts straight

first of all regardless of who is control of the account

only the person with the original name on the account when the account was first created and the correct IP and other bits of info can ever reset the password

2nd of all

the xbox live support team never ever has the password or login info to an account EVER this is done by a remote server after the conditions of validations are met

regardless the only info you can get out of xbox support is the windows live id

this is called PHISHING

"My case is now on file somewhere with the City of San Francisco, the Computer Fraud Division of the police department in Microsoft's home town of Redmond, WA, and the Computer Crimes Division of the FBI (really). So at the very least, I can fantasize about the feds busting down the bedroom doors of the hacker only known to me by his one-time Gamertag of "aaoooopwvyyyz.""

read that quote

Seven tips to avoid being hacked on Xbox Live

Here are a few things you should do to protect your Xbox Live account, compiled from other users (special thanks to MDK x2002x), my own experiences, and Stephen Toulouse:•Don't answer your secret question with the real answer. Instead, select something completely unrelated (for example, First Pet = Will Tuttle) that you can remember, effectively giving you a second password.

•In the "address 2" line of your profile, put down: "XBOX SUPPORT DO NOT ASSIST WITH ACCOUNT RECOVERY" to help automatically raise a red flag when a customer support rep looks up your account.

•If you're planning on gaming away from your default console, put your account on a memory card or move it with your hard drive, as opposed to recovering it on another machine.

•Never reveal any personal details about yourself while gaming over Xbox Live.

•On that same note, go ahead and leave your profile's bio blank. No need to tell everyone where you live.

•Limit the amount of information you put out there for everyone to see on social networking sites...or any website for that matter. Especially ones where you also have your Gamertag listed.

•Create an Xbox Live passcode if you haven't already. To do this, select "My Xbox" on the Xbox dashboard and go to your profile, then go to "Account Management" then "Xbox Live Pass Code."

And try to keep track of your purchases on Xbox Live as well as your Microsoft Points balance, so if you ever do get hacked (knock on wood), you'll be able to help customer service facilitate your refunds more efficiently.

read the complete article before you start quoting from it

the article is ON phishing

any public figure will have public info

a normal person like you and me aren't going to have your complete life story online (you'd hope anyways)

Sorry this didn't help.

btw that world hacker group that info was stolen from sony servers and ea

and they weren't xbox live account info

what lulsec did was say here is some LOGIN info try it on various sites

most people won't use the same gamertag/email/password on many sites so this is why it was limited to the small number of people who use the same login info as sony and ea servers

this is common sense here

do you really use the same pin number for every bank account ?

i hope not because if someone get your wallet your bank accounts will be empty

really should read this article

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-live/how-to/account-security

Sorry this didn't help.

First off you should all stop assuming how I lost my account.  My line of work is basically along the lines of protecting financial institution's infrastructures, so no, I'm not stupid enough to be phished, social engineered, use a simple password, use an unsecure network,  and I don't receive paper statements from anything so I have NOTHING to shred.  My Xbox Live account got frikken hijacked.  Taking 21 days to restore an account is insane.  If I ran my company this way, I'd be out of business in less than a week.  Also, a customer NEVER pesters a business establishment.  If it were not for the customer, there would not BE a business establishment.  That mentality needs to die, and fast.  I simply called to report the problem, and got misinformed, then called back to find out what the deal was, and got attitude.  The fact of the matter is this is a much bigger problem than Xbox is letting on and they need to stop treating it's customer base like fools.  I'm not alone in this thinking either.  Do a quick websearch for articles and blogs on the subject.  Also the idea that the only person that can reset the password is the person with the original IP to register the account is insanely juvenile to believe.  If that were the case than anyone that switches network providers, moves, or changes xbox consoles while forgetting their password would never have access to their account again.  You can reset the password simply by knowing the answer to the secret question, which is why my answers NEVER match my question.  I.E.  "What's your favorite food?" And you answer your favorite movie.

Sorry this didn't help.

Deny Deny Deny and blame the user.  Go Microsoft.  You sound like Apple did when Mac Defender virus came out.

There are users out there who take their security seriously, and don't have redundant logins for all accounts.  Didn't visit any malicious sites etc etc.

And the quote that "The support people can not fast track your account investigation." makes me LOL!

If I was a connected person in the gaming industry ie: writer for IGN -- this issue would be fast on the fast track for sure.

There are people who take their security seriously and due to Microsoft's vulnerabilities there is nothing they can do to protect themselves fully.

Sorry this didn't help.