Hacked Account being investigated

My account was hacked into about a month ago. The person took all 6,000+ Microsoft points that I had and downloaded them to their console. I immediately contacted Microsoft and spoke to a rep that took my information and gave me a service request #, telling me that the investigation would take about 3-5 days, and that they would either email or call me with an update of what they had found.

After a week of not hearing anything, I called back again. I gave the new rep my service request # and they told me that it had been escalated and that the investigation team was looking at it. They said that it shouldn't be much longer now since a week had already gone by, no longer than another week. Again, I was told that I would receive email updates and/or a phone call about this issue.

10 more days went by and I called back again. This time the rep on the phone told me that they could see that it was still escalated but could not tell me anything about what was going on with the issue. Apparently no one at the customer service center can contact the investigation team and get any updates. So he basically told me I would just have to wait until they are done. I asked him how he knew they were actually looking into it since he can't communicate with them in any way, and he didn't have a good answer for me.

Above all, I am just really frustrated. I understand that some things can take time, but I was told that I would be updated on what was going on, not to mention that it has now been a month since I first reported the issue. 6000 points is almost $80 worth, on top of the fact that I pay $60 a year for xbox live, I would expect better service than this.

Is my only option to keep calling back over and over and over, and get the same answers every time? How is it that customer service can have no communication with their investigation team? That just seems really hard to believe. Do I have any other options? I am beginning to wonder if they hope will just stop calling and give up getting my points back.

In any case, they are losing a loyal customer in the process.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 44 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

no the team is completely seperate from support  and is a corporate team

if the corporate team leaves note sthen the agent can give them to you however

remeber like police investigations things do take time based on caseloads

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The investigation can also take up to 30 days if it has not been already.

Sorry this didn't help.

good news is that if he spent your points youll get reinbursed im pretty sure

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it's not that I can't be patient or don't mind waiting for them to do their job. But when they tell me that I will get emails updating me within the week and now it's been a month and I still haven't heard anything back, it's just frustrating.

I just feel there should be better communication to the customer, especially when it involves an investigation into their account. I'm doing my part by calling 4-5 times to check up on it, but I should be getting updates from them, which has not happened one time.

Sorry this didn't help.

How did this alleged person take your ms points off your account and put them on their account? That can only be done if you are a primary in a Family Gold Plan. And how did this alleged person get your account in the first place? You weren't 'hacked' I can tell you that right now. There are only a limited number of ways someone else could get a hold of your account and all of them are due to user negligence.

-you willingly gave out your log in information (people usually do this in exchange for higher ranks, weapon unlocks, etc. in a game)

-you were phished (this is most commonly attached the websites offering free ms points-you should be using a browser that has phishing protection)

-you were socially engineered (some people on Live will act like they are just engaging you in general everyday chit chat but are really gathering information about you to get a hold of your e-mail address and password)

-if you are using the same e-mail address and password for your XBL account that you use for other websites/services then your account has a greater chance of being compromised. You should be using an e-mail address and password that you only use for XBL. Doing that would help make your account more secure.

Wherever you decide to go for your gaming needs I hope you practice good Account Security.

Sorry this didn't help.

It was most likely the fact that I used the same email and password for other website/services. I've never given out my log-in information and am smart enough not to go to websites that promise free MS points. I've also never played my account on anyone else's Xbox.

The first rep on the phone figured that they might have got into my windows live id, because I had to change the password when he walked me through it. So apparently the person obtained my email and password, then recovered my gamertag onto their system. Downloaded 6000 pts worth of DLC to their hard drive and logged out.

When I went to log-in, it gave me an error, telling me that I could not log in to this system with that information. So it was obvious that the person recovered my gamertag. Also, none of the DLC that was downloaded was on my harddrive, so I gave the rep my console ID so that they could  track's whose it went to during the investigation.

Now, I can only guess as to this is what happened. That's the only conclusion the first rep could figure when looking at all the facts of what happened. Hopefully now that I've changed my email and password, that person cannot get back in, or anyone else for that matter. I've also gone on my other social network accounts and changed all the passwords on those as well as my PSN account.

If you have any other ideas to what might have happened, let me know. This is the first time something like this has happened to me. Hopefully it can get resolved soon, and I hope Microsoft has a policy to punish the person who broke into my account. Do they take legal action against those people?

Sorry this didn't help.

Something you should look at is whether or not your password was on one of your social networking profiles. I don't mean you had something like "my password for my WLID is dave" on your profile somewhere but say your password was the name of your dog and you had a picture of your dog on your profile with his name. Social Engineering hackers especially will trawl people's social networking profiles for potential passwords. Could be worth looking into.

Sorry this didn't help.

VernierSlake - Now that you bring that up, this is a good possibility. Now that this has happened, I'm a lot more careful with choosing a password that can't be as easy to figure out.

One more question I thought of, though. Once MS investigation finds the owner of the console ID that my MS points were used on, will they wait to get back to me after they have contacted that person and taken action, or will I be updated beforehand? I really have no idea how these things work.

Sorry this didn't help.

How it works is this -

Once you've got an unauthorised access investigation under way your account is locked and rendered unusable for the duration of the investigation. Once the investigation is complete the account will be returned to your possesion (I think they tell you to recover it) and you're back in business. The first indication the thief will have of the net closing in is the account ceasing to work then the account disappearing from their console and finally them being banned for pinching accounts, as far as I'm aware XBLPET don't inform the suspect that such an investigation is going on and I know for certain they aren't told in advance of any pending banning. You won't be informed of what action will be taken against the thief (but it's a guaranteed permaban) nor told of when that action was carried out or who it was that did it. However you are free to peruse the "my account was suspended" forum looking for anyone you suspect that has been banned for account theft.

Questions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, they actually recovered my account for me the first day that I called; once I verified my console ID and security question. I'm able to play on XBox Live and use my account. I'm just still waiting on the investigation in order to get my 6000+ points back.

The rep on the phone when I called the first time said something about being able to see the console ID # that the DLC went to with the points that were used. And something about that being how they would track the thief down. Not sure how that works, but I'm guessing MS has a record of all console ID's on file and who owns XBL accounts for each one?

I'm glad I got my account recovered though. That would have been terrible to have to wait this long without being able to log in. I just really want my points back though :(. I traded a lot of my regular 360 games and bought MS points for the summer of arcade this year. Just hard to wait after a month now : /

Sorry this didn't help.