Guide button and start button not working.

Hi all,

For some reason on both my controllers the guide button and start button don't work. They are wireless but the batteries are dead on both so I plugged them in.
It happened all of a sudden, I wanted to get into the menu while playing Arcania Gothic 4 to use a spell and the inventory didn't open.

I plugged the wire into the other controller to find the same problem. I know the buttons still work because if I turn the console off and unplug the wire the guide button briefly lights green when I press it, but as I said the batteries are dead so thats no good at the moment.

Also there is no red light on the bit of the wire that plugs into the controller so it's not charging. I've switched the console on and off, tried the other USB port on the console but nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else before, it's frustrating now so I was wandering if there was something I could do. Is it the wire or the console that has the problem?

In the meantime I guess I'll have to buy some batteries but please get back to me if you know of this issue.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2018 Views 1,093 Applies to:

Definitely check with new batteries, and post back with if the problem is still occuring. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Both buttons work fine on batteries. As soon as that cable is plugged in though, thats it the 2 buttons don't work.

It just seems very odd to me.

I tried the USB cable at the back of the console just in case it was the front port that was broken but I had the same issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have another cable to try?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late replies, I don't have my own internet connection at home and I struggle to connect to the hotspots in the apartment building.

Anyway, no I don't have another cable to try. I was looking through my "bag of wires and spares" and came across an xbox pad but not sure why I bought it.

It's wired but it's not USB. It looks like a PS2 plug (the old mouse and keyboard type thing.)

But I've never had PS2 ports on my laptops since i got my Xbox so I really don't know the use for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, that's a standard wired Xbox 360 controller. They have a breakaway design. It sounds like you're missing the other end of it.  

Sorry this didn't help.