Growing older with video games.

I used to think that playing video games was a childish endeavor and that I’d quit around 25 years of age (23 at the moment), but the older I get the more I realize playing video games into my 30’s and 40’s won’t be so weird. It’s fun and shouldn’t be considered childish unless of course you’re playing childish games or playing games in a childish manner. So - I'm just going to play 'til I croak. Has anyone else had this feeling or gone through this change in mindset?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm older than you... but what do you mean by "childish games" ??  What is a childish game?  I would consider something like Gears of War a childish game due to the humor being geared towards 15 year olds, but the violence makes it an M-rated game.  Just curious what you meant by that.... and if your response includes the words "hardcore" and "gamer"....just leave now.

I did quit console games for a while. I had other hobbies which took my spending money. And I disliked the graphics, game play, and price pionts at that time.

Ya dude,  I'm sure I had a feeling like that.  Truth is,  there probably have always been games that felt childish.  Like the time my step mother made me rent the bible game for the NES.  Well it wasn't that bad till she came in whining that I wasn't reading the scripture.  As a pre-teen I felt like I was forced into pre-school again.

For me the fact stands,  sometimes I will pick up a game and get a agonizing time warping feeling of immaturity.  Similar to hanging out with my 10 year younger brother.  I'ts not me It is the games.  There could come a day when people quit making good games that are fun for us.  But after playing some Halo 4 matchmaking...   I feel.........   like a.......................

HARDCORE GAMER!!!!!

Unless your inner child dies, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy video games your entire life, unless you're like my brother, where it TAKES OVER YOUR LIFE LEAVING YOU AN EMPTY SHELL.  Age doesn't matter.  Back when games were in arcades, maybe it mattered more.  I would probably feel a little silly going to one unless I was accompanying a child.  But there really ins't a reason to feel like you need to outgrow it now.  I have a few friends on xbl that are in their 50's and they have as much fun as teens.  It might just be one of the FEW things that kids and adults have in common.  Isn't that a good thing?

Playing video games is relaxing and therapeutic for me. I've been a long time gamer across many different consoles, and I don't see why age should matter. My kids also love gaming and we have some fun family gaming nights together. My parents think its funny when my kids come to me for gaming advice.

Since I gave my parents an Xbox and saw them jump in front of the KInect, and ague about Forza..

I don´t think there is a age limit for video games :)

I have a lot of fun with my end 40 Xbox friends too.

When you are getting older it will not be your age that stop you to play video games, I think it will be your mood lol

Quite a lot of us `oldies` are happily gaming away into our later years.

I`m a member of a clan who`s lower age limit is 25, and the average age of members is in the late 40`s.

It`s just a fun thing and I don`t see any of us giving up any time soon.

[quote user="Eggnogga"]

I'm older than you... but what do you mean by "childish games" ??  What is a childish game?  I would consider something like Gears of War a childish game due to the humor being geared towards 15 year olds, but the violence makes it an M-rated game.  Just curious what you meant by that.... and if your response includes the words "hardcore" and "gamer"....just leave now.

[/quote]

I guess childish games would be games aimed at children like Kinectimals and stuff. I consider Gears of War a mature game, but still understand what you're saying. Most do play childishly in Gears of War or at least behave in a childish manner. And - the 'bro' stuff gets on my nerves, but I won't put the game down because the cover system, tactics, etc. are really good.

[quote user="BizarroMantis"]

Unless your inner child dies, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy video games your entire life, unless you're like my brother, where it TAKES OVER YOUR LIFE LEAVING YOU AN EMPTY SHELL.  Age doesn't matter.  Back when games were in arcades, maybe it mattered more.  I would probably feel a little silly going to one unless I was accompanying a child.  But there really ins't a reason to feel like you need to outgrow it now.  I have a few friends on xbl that are in their 50's and they have as much fun as teens.  It might just be one of the FEW things that kids and adults have in common.  Isn't that a good thing?

[/quote]

Yes, but I’m just beginning to see that. When I was 18 or so I remember wondering how much longer I had to play because I considered gaming in my early twenties a weird endeavor and gaming in my thirties (someday, no rush)  making me a loser, possibly because most my age are just drinking and in my thirties - family. I don’t drink a lot and am happy spending more money on video games, plus in my thirties my kids will be playing so why stop. I guess I just finally accepted myself as a lifelong gamer and couldn’t be happier.

The main thing that has lead to this way of thinking is that video games were originally marketed as toys in the 80s. Nintendo was mainly played by children and so grown-ups in that time really got it into their heads that they will "grow out of it". Some children did, but as video games have started moving from toys to art-form, the age-appropriateness of playing games has shifted. I am turning 30 in two weeks and my parents still don't understand why I play video games, but they sure as hell don't give me the guff they used to about them. They have come to realize that this is my hobby. In short, don't quit gaming. Gaming has started to become a respected media lately, and you will soon come to find out that you are not alone in your passion for video games.