Grinding Noise/Blu-ray not playing..

Hey Guys, so after setting up my box, everything was great! I didn't think about testing a movie until I heard a weird rumbling/grinding noise. I decided to google XBOX ONE GRINDING NOISE, and holy smokes, my heart sank. I read about all this issue with the optical disc drive. So I quickly popped in a blu-ray hoping it's not the case, but sure enough, the grinding gets worse and it tells me it cannot play the blu-ray.

What's complicating my issue is that I bought it from a dealer in Canada. I wanted to go through Microsoft for what I thought would be a smoother quicker process. But so far, I'm not getting the same courtesy. In doing my research I see that Xbox was very nice to people who had this issue back when it was first discovered. I read that many did not pay anything out of pocket, got a brand-new replacement and a download token for a game for their inconvenience.

As for me, they want to charge me $15, they say it will be refurbished and no mentioning of any free game. This seems very unfair, probably because it's now June and less people are having issues. But nevertheless, they know that they have these bad units in the wild, and they should take care of all their customers, down to the very last bad console. 

Just venting. If any of you have any advice. Much appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Sorry to hear you have this issue, I don't know what the charge is for, the best thing to do is keep calm when talking to someone but the main thing is to get it fixed, sorry I cant be more helpful good luck with it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had an issue of my xbox one not playing movies or games. Microcosft fixed it for me at no charge. Didn't even pay for shipping.

I am a bit confused. Did you call and contact Microsoft and they are charging you $15 or your Canadian Dealer (what is that suppose to mean?) is charging you $15 and giving you a refurbished one?

I am from Canada and had no issues at all dealing with then. I used the chat feature and spent like 2 hours to get my issue fixed and when nothing could be done, he told me it had to come in for repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

HsojVvad, I'm talking to Microsoft directly. The repair option is not ideal because I would be left without a console for awhile. I want to do the ADVANCE EXCHANGE. But this option is no longer available to set-up online. From my understanding, people were able to set it up online and input their shipping info and credit card info. The credit card info is for Microsoft to put a hold on your card for the $500 amount in case you never ship back the defective unit. But now apparently, you have to set it up over the phone, and they say there is now a $15 charge to do over the phone. And they say I'll be getting back a refurbished unit. When this was discovered back in December, my understanding was that Microsoft sent out brand-new consoles for replacement. I guess they don't feel obligated to that anymore. I think they should, because these are their known defective grinding units in the wild. There are probably still many more xboxs in the wild with these issue since they haven't been moving off the shelves as quickly as PS4.

My dealer is very nice and will actually take care of this for me. They will eat up $60, the cost for me to ship it back to Canada.

My preferred option is the Advance Exchange.. because I get to use the xbox while waiting. I'm just a little peeved at having to pay $15 on top of getting a refurb.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have a Day One unit the system when putting in for a replacement will be waived. This is verified by your console's serial number. The 15 dollar fee was waived for me, and I am not concerned with the free game as I already have all the ones they were offering.

Sorry this didn't help.

How would I know if it's Day One? It's the Green Box with Kinect manufacture date was 12/31/2013

Sorry this didn't help.

Then you do not have a day one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, what do you guys think? Refurbished or Repair? Which route is usually best?

Sorry this didn't help.