green power light blinking fast

I have the original white console. The other day I went to play a game and when i turned the console on the power light was constantly blinking, as if the disc tray were opening. Could anyone help me diagnose any possible causes to this? I would love to continue using this console, its got alot of nostalgic value to me as it was my first console that I actually took gaming seriously with. Thanks for any and all help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi there take a look at this link support.xbox.com/.../console it may provide you with some answers.

It might be fixable depending on the reason for the flashing light, hopefully you can fix it. It's pretty cool you have had for so long.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response. (: Nothing there helped, I'd already had the face plate off because of the "sticky" tray.  But still no luck. I tried each of the solutions provided.

Sorry this didn't help.

That sucks it might be that a console repair may be in order, does it affect gameplay somehow? I doubt getting it fix is worth it considering it is pretty old and there are plenty of cheap 360s now. Hopefully this doesn't happen to my 360 recently the disc try has been getting stuck and I have had to pretty much pry it out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, it does affect gameplay. I cant get the tray to respond at all. Pressing the eject button does absolutely nothing. /: Which sucks because i just got several new games.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try step 6 of this guide: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/disc-drive-solution

The blinking power light indicates one of two things from the Xbox: it either thinks the disc drive is open, or it does not detect a DVD drive at all. If you press the eject button, do you hear the disc drive attempting to move? If so, your disc drive probably needs to be realigned, which means either opening your console and voiding your warranty (nobody cares) or your Xbox is taking an extended trip to Microsoft for repair.

If you don't hear any sound after attempting to open your disc drive, a couple of things might be the cause. The IXtreme 3.0 v0800 CFW is especially notorious for bricking the BenQ and LiteOn drives on the original model 360s (if you're into that sort of thing). If this isn't the case for you, then the cables for your disc drive are probably not connected properly or are corroded, which - unfortunately - most likely means you have a 100% fried and unrecoverable disc drive. If you don't feel like opening your 360, your only options at that point are to send it in for repair or get a new 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not hear the drive initialize at all when the eject button is pushed. I've already been all in the console, I wasnt really worried as my warranty ran out like in 07/08 I cant remember anymore. The cables were firmly seated on the board as well as the drive. I believe the drive may be, for lack of a better word, ***-canned. I believe the LiteOn drive requires the board to be transferred to a new unit if it is replaced otherwise its just a dvd player. Do you know if its the board that would be fried in this situation or maybe just the eye?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don't hear anything at all, then the most likely case is that the DVD drive's mainboard is shot. A similar issue happened to me on my Xenon-era 360; however, the reason I encountered this issue is because of user error. I'm not telling you to do anything, per se, but if it were me, I would take a close look at the DVD drive's power cable. It's pretty easy to put those on backwards, resulting almost 100% of the time in a fried disc drive. It probably won't fix the problem, but if it turns out that the power cable is on backwards, you'll at least know how and why it happened when you're shopping either for a new disc drive or, "preferably", a new 360.

Sorry this didn't help.