Got my account back. Everyone READ.

I filed my UAI on the 29th of October and just got the e-mail telling me the investigation was finished on the 17th of November. That makes it 19 calendar days, which according to some stories here on the support forums, is record breaking time. So I guess xbox support deserve a fair bit of credit with that. Did I mention that I also got EVERYTHING refunded? Yeah. That was great.

The point of my post is to give some advice to people who may be hacked in the future, or those that are still waiting patiently for their UAI to finish. I'll try to make this as concise as possible.

If you've been hacked, call support ASAP. Do NOT put your phone down unless xbox support have EVERY little detail from you. Things you will need to give them include: your personal details, an alternate email address for them to contact you and your console ID and Serial Number. I cannot stress this enough. Failing to give them all of your info will only delay your UAI.

To those who are sitting in fear of being hacked after reading all these horror stories, follow these steps as a form of damage limitation. Remove all forms of payment options, including credit cards and bank transfers (paypal). Do not leave any significant lump sums of MS points just sitting there idle on your account. Spend them all ASAP. This hack can happen to anyone and you don't want to give the hacker anything to spend. No website or company can be trusted with your bank details or payment methods. Stick to pre-paid for EVERYTHING. It is so much safer.

Finally, make an e-mail address that is EXCLUSIVE to your xbox live gamertag and NOTHING ELSE. This is vital. Don't let the hacker in on your personal e-mail. Also, go to EA.com and associate your master EA profile with a Live ID that is not used for anything else. If EA are the security hole, hackers will only be getting into a worthless, empty e-mail address.

Sadly, if your account has been migrated to another country, you are in a completely different dirt pile. The problems that arise from this situation are not worth it, so I would recommend not waiting for xbox support. Just make a new gamertag and be done with it until xbox support figure out a way to fix this region migration mess. My account was only financially compromised and fortunately no region migration occured.

That's what I learned from my experience. It can happen to anyone, no matter how internet savvy or secure you may think you are. Until we know where the security loophole is coming from, anyone can be a victim. Thanks for reading and thank you xbox support for sorting this out for me. Good luck with your UAIs everyone!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

If you are not using your codes give them to OP. OP, You don't need to remove your cards. You know how to manage your security by the sounds of things and, god forbid, it happens again you know you will be refunded.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Congrats, TRELON!

It's kind of bumming me out to read that people who filed their UAI after me are getting their accounts back. :(

I filed mine on October 24th.

Sorry this didn't help.

So you got your account back in 19 days.

Yet I'm here sitting at 132 days and counting. 58 days since they emailed me saying there was a delay and giving me a code for a Month of Gold and being told if I had any further questions to email or call support and also being told I may be contacted within 30 days. Already replied back to the email twice called numerous times and still no contact back. This is the worst customer service or lack their of I've ever dealt with.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey stringoi1958 - glad to hear you were able to get a resolution on your account. You are free to give your Gold subscription codes to anyone you'd like to. Take care, and please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I got an email today saying my account had been taken over by MS and returned to me as my UAI had been completed 7 weeks from start to finish although it did state it would return $51 and I hope they mean £51... just glad it's over. I've always been a ANTI ONLINE payment person and this has proved me right. 1st Sony then MS and even Steam are sending out warnings about unauthorised access having happened but every time you change your steam password it deletes your payment details so some security there. Anyway 2 billing cycles before my payment is returned so I'm assuming that's 2 months but I've removed silverlight and explorer and most MS targeted software from my system. There is one thing though... I do not have an xbox (and this happened just days before I got the wife an xbox and kinnect which was a stroke of good fortune) but they've sent me some codes for 1 months free play what do I do with them ? can I just give them to anyone ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I reported my account hacked and MS has suspended my account. I was just told by friends in the US that my profile was online playing Daytona USA....

Sorry this didn't help.

congrats on getting your account back I called Oct 16 and nothing yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think  a lot of the problem is the queue that the accounts are being put in. I called in to have it investigated on October 27th, and as of now it hasn't even been looked at yet from what I understand.

Sorry this didn't help.