Gold Membership and one-time Online Passes - what do you think?

I am very upset and troubled by the recent emergence of "on-line passes" -- that is, single-use passcodes that are required to enable your Xbox Live account to play a game in on-line multiplayer mode. Two prominent recently examples are Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Mass Effect 3 (which actually tied  the ending of the trilogy to whether you had the on-line multiplayer pass). 

Can anyone from Microsoft explain to me why I pay for Gold account for on-line multiplayer access if any game publisher is allowed to restrict my access to on-line multiplayer?

Can anyone from Microsoft explain how it is fair that, although I pay for a Family Gold Pack so that we can all play on-line, any game publisher is allowed to restrict it so that only one of us is allowed to play the game on-line?

In my mind, this is utterly unacceptable. I have been a paying Gold subscriber for years, and so have the other family members in my house. We bought these games brand new on launch day -- just like they want -- but still, three out of four of us are restricted from playing the game.

If Microsoft is going to charge for on-line access, it needs to forbid game publishers from restricting that access via passcodes.

What do you think? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's so people don't get cheap by getting free online when the game is used

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In the case of MASS Effect 3, the single use pass code has allowed both GOLD members on my console to access multiplayer, have the "other" profiles on yours tried it yet?...:-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you really blame the companies? After all, look at all the hacking and modding and crud that goes on. People get out of control, and the companies don't have alot of options.

Sorry this didn't help.

Online passes do nothing to prevent the "crud that goes on", EA is one of the biggest users of this system and, in the case of FIFA12, it likely gave those losers another avenue in which to exploit, this system is designed for one purpose and that's for the software giants to prevent loss of revenue to used games sales...:-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Online passes are a scam.  Nothing more than a cash grab.  I agree with Mecandes that Onine passes should not be allowed if we already have to pay for gold memberships to play on live.  The used game market has been around for as long as I have been gaming, yet it's only in the last couple of years that companies have been complaining about used games destroying them.  This is just their way of tapping into another revenue stream and not to protect themselves from lost profits as they claim.  

Sorry this didn't help.

My 2 cents on the matter: I see those online passes as double dipping from the part of the developpers as they already made their cash on the copy once. What i don't understand though is the fact that no one stands up to them. In example, if Ford, Chrysler, and/or GM would start doing such thing with used car (let's say a Highway pass in this instance) we'd see thousands (if not millions) of drivers out there boycott those companies.

On another side, i do understand that these developpers feel like they're losing sales to the profit of EB Games/Gamestop and other stores in the like but sending the bill to the consumer instead of those said stores is just plain wrong. I'm looking at you EA with your last year statement that indirectly called us consumers thieves 'cause we buy used games.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is why I see discs becoming obsolete before too long (ala Music CDs), you can't resell a used download, can you?...:-)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Lactos292"]

Online passes are a scam.  Nothing more than a cash grab.  I agree with Mecandes that Onine passes should not be allowed if we already have to pay for gold memberships to play on live.  The used game market has been around for as long as I have been gaming, yet it's only in the last couple of years that companies have been complaining about used games destroying them.  This is just their way of tapping into another revenue stream and not to protect themselves from lost profits as they claim.  

[/quote]

^Agreed.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="MSQ Ganner"]

What i don't understand though is the fact that no one stands up to them.

[/quote]

It's very easy to understand and falls in with the DLC comments I have been saying for years:  You average gaming consumer today 1) does not understand the value of a dollar, and/or 2) Doesn't care about the value of a dollar.

Thus, they happily pay whatever overpriced fee publishers charge without too much, if any, complaint.  Xbox LIVE, most DLC, etc. are all horribly overpriced, yet their thriving business models.  This is because of the consumer base and their apathy and/or ignorance.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Mecandes"]I am very upset and troubled by the recent emergence of "on-line passes" -- that is, single-use passcodes that are required to enable your Xbox Live account to play a game in on-line multiplayer mode. Two prominent recently examples are Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Mass Effect 3 (which actually tied  the ending of the trilogy to whether you had the on-line multiplayer pass). [/quote]

Wait... Ubisoft does this now? I thought it was only an EA thing. The AC online portion is relatively new anyway, so I doubt you're missing much.

-

As for passes in general... I don't really care. They're obviously meant to prevent people from buying second hand games, and for those that do, passes offer a means for the Pub/ Dev to salvage some money. Microsoft doesn't do it for their games. It's largely an EA thing, along with a host of other greedy practices. If a game has a pass, you just have to ask yourself, is it worth it to buy the game new, or should I buy it used, and skip the multiplayer?

Sorry this didn't help.