Glitch while adding points to an account

HI - I'm having a series of problems managing an Xbox Live account via the PC.  All these problems began at the same time within the last couple of weeks so I'm guessing they are related.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The account is a child account with an associated parent account (I am the parent).  The accounts have worked without any issues for almost two years before this.

Issue 1: when logging into the child account from the Sign In page, there is no problem.  If I follow the link to manage payment options or add points, at which point I would normally be asked to authenticate on the parent account, instead I get a page indicating my computer is not recognized and I will need to enter a code that has been emailed to me. This occurs every time I do this, no matter that I am always on the same PC and moreover it's a PC I've always accessed this account from previously without an issue.

Issue 2: if I proceed to enter the code I then get to the authentication page for the parent account.  I enter the email address and password of the parent account and then nearly always get an error page like this:

It appears you've found a glitch in the system.
date: 7/14/2012 1:46:29 AM
code: 1DA8C87D7284B7B
s: SbuKpV5jmgDqoJ5D5tfMNw==
id: ff0b8231-90ac-4edd-9649-a2b75feaf46f
req: 286d702b-d242-4a1a-b1db-d3ef9159f5f0

the code and other ID elements are different every time. Once I get this, the account session is trashed and anything I do to get to a page needing parent authentication immediately returns me to the error page.  The only way out is to sign completely out and then sign back in from the beginning.  If I do that repeatedly (entering a new emailed security code for an unrecognized computer each time), then once every 5 or 10 attempts I can actually reach the page I want.

Issue 3: if I've managed to get to the add points page and try to add points, I get an error saying there is a problem with my payment method and I need to try a different one.  The same thing happens if points are attempted to be added from the Xbox console.  However I know there is nothing wrong with the registered credit card. Nonetheless I worked my way to the page for managing payment options and registered a different credit card that is also valid but it won't accept payment from that one either. 

Things I've tried: tried using both IE and Firefox. Cleared all browser cookies.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

You could also check out some of your local stores and see if that add-on has a pre-pay code that you could purchase then give to your child to input on Xbox Live. Similarly you could purchase points. I know this doesn't fix the issue at hand but is a work around until the techs can take a look at the server code.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I've tried both Firefox and IE on 2 different PCs here and just for fun Firefox on a laptop running Linux as well.  And I've also tried clearing browser caches and cookies, to reset everything.  It's all the same result.  Something has just gone bad on the server side, no doubt due to some change Microsoft made that's affecting this parent authentication process and my particular circumstance is triggering it.  I used to write web applications like this Xbox Live site for a living and I'm pretty sure if you get a response of "It appears you've found a glitch in the system" followed by a bunch of internal codes, that's a bug.  It's just tricky to figure out how to work around it.

Another thing I tried since my last post was to go to billing.microsoft.com and edit the payment type information for both credit cards I have entered as payment methods on this account.  All the information is correct, and that site indicates a status of "good" for both.  Nonetheless, if I go in via the console it refuses payment with either.

One test I wanted to try was to temporarily change the child account to an adult account and see if that made things better, but of course to do that I have to get to an account settings page that I can't reach...

As Raett posted way back in the first reply, I could presumably put points on the adult account (though I haven't tried it) and purchase what is needed (an add-on pack of some sort for a game) and then use it via the child account, but that doesn't really fix the problem, so I'm still pursuing this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there MewMan700,

Have you also tried multiple browsers or perhaps another device? Let us know!

Sorry this didn't help.

I did go ahead and install essentials and set up the PC as trusted for both the parent and child accounts but as I expected that only solved Issue 1, so now I don't need to enter the security code, but still get the glitch failure after authenticating as the parent.

We don't have the family pack, just a single Gold subscription for the child account. And the child account explicitly does have permission to purchase points; my son did so via the console only 10 days ago, but now that fails every time as I described in Issue 3 earlier.

I found this earlier thread which appears to be the exact same problem I am having with regard to the "glitch" and doesn't appear to have ever been resolved:

forums.xbox.com/.../935332.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you currently subscribed for an Xbox Live Gold Family pack? If so I believe the ability to add points via purchase is restricted on a child's account. You will have to go through your (main account holder) account and then purchase the points. After you can then set an allowance to either child account.

More info here if your using XBLG Family pack: support.xbox.com/.../billing-points-family-pack

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried the trusted pc for the accounts? That might help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can log directly into the parent account. It still fails to recognize the computer and makes me enter the code, but once past that I can navigate to all parts of the site fine without hitting the "glitch".   We also have a second child account connected to the same parent account, all the same errors I originally described happen there as well.  So the problem is clearly not with the child accounts per se but some aspect of authenticating on the parent account from within the child.  I also tried all this from a completely different computer but all the errors occur identically there.

Sorry this didn't help.

The code authorisation is a security measure implemented to protect your account. As for why you keep getting an error, I'm not sure. Can you log in to the parent account fine without trying to do it via the child account? Or do you get the same errors?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ouch.

To avoid the error about an unrecognized computer, try setting it as a trusted pc ( account.live.com/.../Manage ). I believe you need to be using Internet Explorer and install windows essentials.

Depending on what the points are for, you might want to see if you can just purchase them on the parent account. As long as the points are spent on the same console, anything bought should be useable by the child account (exceptions: avatar content, gamer pics, and themes).

Sorry this didn't help.