Giving Xbox internet priority?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my internet connection with Xbox. I have a fine connection in online games when nobody is on the internet but as soon as someone starts using the internet (which is often) my connection immediately drops and I'm forced to stop playing. Is there anyway in my router settings that I can change it so that the internet on the computers take the hit from the xbox live rather than the other way around? I've been trying to find something in my settings for awhile but I don't really know what I'm doing. I have a fair point westell 7500 router and I'm already in the settings.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2018 Views 572 Applies to:

Well doing a quick Internet search of your router it seems there are quality of service (QoS) settings on it. However, most Internet routers won't apply your QoS settings and you'll be in the same situation as you are in now. If it's possible you might need to upgrade your connection to a faster upstream/downstream. Plus by making your router add QoS tags to certain packets you'll just be making your router work more and suffer hits in performance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What you are talking about is setting up Quality of Service (QoS) via your router.  There are a couple of post regarding this on the internet, specific to your router:

www.dslreports.com/.../r25986592-modem-router-How-to-configure-Westell-7500-QoS-settings-

answers.yahoo.com/.../index

-----------------------

Unfortunately, these posts and others I found make me believe that your Westell 7500 router does not have the QoS settings you need.   One poster said that the Westfell router appears to only be able to prioritize VoIP (Voice over Internet).   I think you need a newer router with better QoS support.   I don't recommend specific brands in these forums; so search the internet for "router qos gaming".

-----------------------

To configure QoS and prioritize your Xbox, you need to enter its MAC address into the appropriate setting on your router.

1. On your Xbox dashboard, scroll to the right to settings, select system settings.

2. Select Network Settings

3. Try to connect to ASCWifi, it will fail.

4. Select "Configure network", you should be able to find your MAC address under network configuration.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.