Getting disconnected from Xbox live

My Xbox will connect to live I can play a game but wen I press the guide button to go to Xbox home I get disconnected from live. My connection is good iv also tried it on my friends Internet. Could this a console fault? Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

It sounds like your connection. If your internet isnt secured, you should do so. Disconnect your router, wait a few seconds and connect it again. Hopefully that helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there!  Let me make sure I understand: you only disconnect when you go back to the dashboard using the guide menu?  Does it ever disconnect you in the middle of games?  Also, does it do this with every game or only some of them?  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Razzageist!  

Sorry to hear you're having problems staying connected to XBL. It sounds like your profile may be out of sync and may need re-downloaded. Try these simple steps!

Re-download Profile

1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button

2) Select Download Profile (and if you don't see it, press the blue X button to make sure you're not signed in) and proceed with Profile Download.

3) Enter the Microsoft Account address for your Xbox LIVE gamertag when asked.

4) Enter the password for the Microsoft Account.

4b) If your account is an Xbox LIVE child account, the parent’s Windows Live ID & password is required as well to download your profile.

5) Pick the storage device for your profile (choose Hard Drive if you have one, or Memory Unit if you don't have a Hard Drive).

6) When the download completes you will be asked if you want the console to remember your password. If it's your home console, I'd say yes, otherwise I'd think carefully about leaving my profile unprotected on somebody else's Xbox!

7) Sign in, and retry.

If you're still seeing issues with getting disconnected intermittantly following the profile resownload it would help us immensly if you could read the START HERE post and provide us with information on your network layout (router, modem, gateway, etc.)

Let us know how that goes for you and as always feel free to ask us about any questions you have!

Sorry this didn't help.

yes you could have a faulty HD or a CURRUPT file as well, id recommend clearing system cache first off before you redownload profile, follow these steps first go to dashboard scroll all the way to the right settings then press A on system, then scroll down to storage and select Y then scroll down to clear system cache, and press A, once that is done hit center button on controller and press X to sign out of tag, then to the right is an option to download profile, do as it asks, then pop games back in and you will have to downlaod some updates but if there is anything currupt in the processing of XBOXLIVE that will clear it up. lets me know how that works for you, and thanks again for choosing xbox live :)

Sorry this didn't help.