Getting Disconnected from XBL every few seconds.

I keep having to reconnect to XBL every few seconds because I am getting disconnected when I start a game or I'm in the Dashboard. My connection is great, Open NAT, good signal. Should I call XBL support? I had to reset my connection due to a power outage, and it only started doing this since then.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I have a very similar issue.  I am being disconnected from Xbox Live every 10 minutes or so.  I can try to reconnect immediately or wait several minutes but all retries will fail.

I have found a method that will guarantee me a connection though.  If I choose to test connection after any of the failures, the test will succeed and I can log back in to Xbox Live with no problem.

I have the new Gears console and it has been working fine since its release until now.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? NC, USA

Modem brand & model number:  ??

Router brand & model number:  D-Link DI-524

Network Connection Type: Wired

Things you have tried:

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown

Is NAT Type Open? Yes

Any Error Codes you encounter: None

What type of internet do you have? Cable

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Time Warner

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen?

Not at home at the moment, will edit post after work.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Disconnect issues are tough because there are so many possibilities.  you really need to do some testing to narrow down the problem.

1. If you use wireless, try connecting on a wired basis temporarily, just for testing purposes.   See if you still experience the problem.  If it goes away, you know your wireless connection is the issue

2. If you use a router, try a direct wired connection to your modem.  If the problem dissappears you know you need to look at your router.    

3. If you experience the problem, even direct connected to the modem, and you have DSL, make sure you do not have a "filter" on the modem line.  

4. If you have cable, make sure your data line does not go through to many "splitters". Each splitter weakens your signal and to many can cause issues.

5.If there is no filter or you have cable, then you need to talk with  your ISP.  Have them come out and check your installation and possibly give you a new modem.

6. Some people have reported that doing the harddrive maintenance on their xbox has solved some disconnect issues.  Can't explain why this would help unless some kind of corruption in the profile causes some timeouts.  But some people claim this has fixed their particular problem.

But there are so many possible issues,without doing some testing ,  you can't really know what steps to take.

Try the "connection Troubleshooter"  at    support.xbox.com/.../NetworkHelp.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried the Connection Troubleshooter, but it didn't work. I would like to power cycle, but this may *** with my modem and router. So I'll just have to call XBL Support.

Sorry this didn't help.

The same thing is happening to me. I have tried resetting my modem. I checked the cable, everything seems fine. As soon as I try to play any game I get disconnected from Xbox live. No error messages displayed, I just get disconnected.

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems to be a broad system issue and not tied to any single console, really hoping to see some resolution soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey OP, could you begin with the START HERE sticky and post the information it requests? That will help us help you. :) forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

i get disconnected every time i start a game or use an xbox live app, this has only happened today, nothing has change with network and the only thing that has changed for my xbox is i updated the dashboard, so nothing drastic, can anyone help me here? i want to play a game online but keep getting disconnected when i log on. i here rumors that microsoft is becoming unstable, and with the problems i have had lately im wondering if its true, like on call of duty i had a strict nat type when all ports were open than half way in a match i get kicked and it says i have open nat type.... sometimes my mates get kicked out of parties for no reason, they can join straight after, and now this getting kicked from xbox live whenever i try to use it... it just doesnt make sense... can we please have support that actually does something? im getting sick of having to ask hackers whats going on because they know more than these forums and the helpline does.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey OP, could you begin with the START HERE sticky and post the information it requests? That will help us help you. :) forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

^^^  says the group cant be found.  but anyways, since the update something xbox did messed up A LOT of consoles. and it has nothing to do with our end of the deal. cause i have done everything everyone has told me an the bottom line is, before the update everything was just fine. i really hope MS finds out what is wrong an fixes the issue soon.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys, sorry about that link--it has since found a new home. You can view the proper page here now. Assassin, I've since replied to another post you made in a different thread. Can you please take a look at your last post?

Sorry this didn't help.