Getting an Xbox - question about backups etc...

Hi

Have PS3 but think about an Xbox due to some strangeness in Playstation world.

#1. Can you make backups of savedata(progress in game) to any usb-memorystick?

I read something about of not being compatible with older Xbox consoles even.

Are some games locked in that sense.

On Playstation you need an annual $60 subscription to make backups to their cloud of some protected games savedata.

#2. Can you make complete system backups to external usb drives of any kind?

Games and savedata and patches and everything, to restore fully:

a) on the same system?

b) if system crashes, on another without reinstalling stuff?

#3. Can a dongle for a Thrustmaster wheel, switchable between PC/PS3-setting be used on an Xbox?

It's a wireless dongle from the wheel.

#4. I'm sharing mobile internet on a PC - is that doable from Xbox?

a) Compatible with DHCP on a PC to automatically configure?

b) Can you do all network setting like DNS if no is answer on a)?

#5. Are there maintenance stuff for hdd, like defrag, scandisc and stuff like on a PC?

Many questions....

Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you all.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

u can make backups of game saves and u can use any usb drive but u can not use moble dongles on the 360 and u can do settings on DNS and there is all maintenance on the hdd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you kindly - that clear out most of my questions.

I guess that mobile dongles for broadband does not work(I share this on a PC instead), but what I mentioned with dongle is a wireless connection from wheel controller that replaces the normal controller.

www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx

It says it's for PC and PS3, and I thought maybe everthing for PC actually work on Xbox since it's Microsoft hardware.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

1.  Yes, you can use a USB flash drive.  The drive must be configured first for Xbox storage first though.  The Storage configuration limits are 1GB minimum - 16GB maximum.

2.  You can use a USB flash drive or an external hard drive to copy most Xbox data to and from your Xbox 360's hard drive.  Some save games however can not be copied and only allow the file to be moved.  Game patches can not be moved, however the vast majority of Xbox game updates are very small, the largest I have seen is 12MB.  The Xbox console does not have huge game updates like PlayStation 3 has.

2 a. On the same system yes.

2 b. Xbox hard drives can be moved between other console, it does not require a hard drive format like PS3.

3.  Only peripherals, controllers and wheels that are certified to work for Xbox 360 will work on the console.  PS3 controllers that also work on PCs do not work on Xbox.

4.  Directly no.  USB Internet dongles require drivers which typically only work for a Windows PC.  It is possible to use this type of Internet on the 360 though, to do it you will need to use a bridged network connection.  This guide explains how.

5.  Xbox 360 hard drives do not have a defrag ability.  The hard drive uses it's own file system and it would appear maintains itself perfectly.   I've had my Xbox hard drive for three years and it's still working the same as it did the first day I bought it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, that resolves all my questions.

I feared not saying Xbox explicitly supported by wheel that it might be implied somehow. That's a pity.

Sorry this didn't help.