get away with

In a recent article about the X1 almost not having a disc drive at all Phil Spencer says "There was a real discussion about whether we should have an optical disc drive in Xbox 1 or if we could get away with a purely disc-less console, but when you start looking at bandwidth and game size it does create issues."

Does anyone else find it troubling that he used the words "get away with"? It makes it seem as if they're actively looking for ways to screw us over. Why didn't he say something more along the lines of "if our customers would like a purely disc-less console?"

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes, of course these people are always trying to screw MSFT.

I would love for them to have kept their original DRM policies. I truly hate having to switch a disk instead of just running a game I want to run.

Also, what`s the point on having a disk if you still need to install it and download a huge patch in order to play it?

In my opinion, we would be better off without disk drives. Prices of games would come down and Game Stop would be out of business.

well TBH..  I have not even tried to insert a disc into the drive yet.. and how would this be "*** us over"  I am sure this is something you would have known before you purchased... right?

tohellnbak no people would blindly buy and *** about

I just think it says something about their attitude towards us consumers, instead of looking for ways to please us it makes it seem as though they're trying to see what they can get away with.

like getting away with making us pay to send their stuff back.....sounds like they are winning I guess (only short term win imo)

Probably just overthinking the (poor) choice of words.

I think a disc less system will not work with the one. Most likely the two will be discless. I can even see new computers in few years from now will be discless.  So it not far feach  that discless console coming our wat in the next decaide.

I personally can not wait till the days when internet is good enough to allow for a disc less system. The benefits really do out way any negatives. As a pc player as well( yes I know we all hate pc players) I have many time lost, broken or scratched discs. But when the are tied to an account it's just a matter of downloading it. I would love to go all digital and not have to swap out discs as well. But where I live it's just not that easy. The internet here is just not fast enough. But I certainly look forward to the day it is. Oh and I don't have a prob with drm either. I actually think it's good for the industry. Personally I hate pirates but that's a conversation for another day.

I wouldn't mind a disc-less system if there was a dramatic decrease in the price of games but that's beside the point. I was looking for other people's thoughts on Phil Spencer's choice of words.

Doesn't bother me any.