Microsoft and Epic Games have today announced some big numbers for Gears of War 3, including statistics for the multiplayer beta, which managed to attract a staggering 1.29 million fans across 145 different countries. This has no doubt helped in making Gears of War 3 the fastest pre-ordered game in Xbox 360 history, netting orders exceeding 1 million units worldwide.
That's a lot when you consider that Gears 3 won't even release until September, making the guys at Epic Games incredibly happy. “An overwhelming success – we can’t thank the fans enough,” said Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski. “While the beta was a fun way to give players an early taste of our game, it also provided us with invaluable feedback to help us refine and polish ‘Gears of War 3’ to ensure it’s truly the culmination of the trilogy we promised to the fans.
Here are some of the frankly quite impressive statistics from the Gears of War 3 public multiplayer beta, just to give you an idea of exactly how successful it was:
- 1.29 million people participated in the beta
- 145 different countries participated in the beta
- 249 years worth of matches played
- More than 11 million matches completed
- More than 927 million kills recorded
- More than 131 million executions performed
- More than 23 million deaths by chainsaw
- Nearly 23 BILLION bullets fired
- 460 million ribbons and 294 million medals earned
- 435 thousand people earned the beta exclusive Thrashball Cole skin to use in the retail game
- 234 thousand people earned the beta exclusive Gold Retro Lancer to use in the retail game
Gears of War 3 releases worldwide on September 20th, 2011