Gears of war 3 "disc unreadable" error, update banned my console from Live for unspecified "modification"

I bought Gears 3 Thurs. Sept. 22.  Loaded it came up with update, said yes update failed to process gave me a disc unreadable error.  After trying and trying to install update, I took the game back.  I tried to have a local console repair shop look at my console.  Was told he had never seen this problem and was unable to fix it.  He was also told as was I the error code E 64 was telling Microsoft and Xbox live that my console had been "modified".  As I have been trying to tell anyone trying to help me with this, me or my brother "modifying" our console is impossible.  When I informed CS this I was given the very weak response that I could have connected to modified server while playing online, thus affecting my console as well?????  Also my console hasn't been connected to the internet since March 2011, and I have only played Halo 3 online years and years ago when I had a free one month subscription.

I have been researching this particular error, and it seems that the problem I'm having sounds all too conveniently similar to a problem Microsoft described in May of 2011 about an update giving you the "disc unreadable" or disc unsupported" error because the new disc drive and firmware is incompatable with certain Xbox systems and DVD drives, or certain consoles power supplies were insufficient t support the updates. 

I am trying my best to resolve this issue conclusively.  I really don't want to send my console in for $99-$119 since it would make just as much sense if not more to buy a brand new one.  I am afraid that if I purchase a new system that without my consent or want it could be affected again by this ambiguous "modification" error, if this is even possible!

Any help at all would be greatly, greatly appriciated, since I know at some point I will run up against a wall with Xbox customer service.

Sincerely a lifelong gamer who, to my ire now, has never been into online gaming, communities or forums.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 84 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I also forgot to mention that my console is a refurbish unit from Microsoft from around 2006 after my first one got the "ring of death".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Has your disc drive ever been replaced at all?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks for replying.  No I have never, never done anything to my console.  It is as it was when I received it from Microsoft as a refurbished replacement console.  The only time it had ever been opened was because of this issue.  I took it to a local repair shop, after which he told me that he had never seen this problem and there was nothing he could do.  The only reason I did this is because Xbox support keeps insisting that it has been modified which is completely untrue, and I was trying to be as proactive as possible in finding a answer to this problem.  

As of yet the only real answer I seem to have come to is that the update has essentially "obsolete-ed" my console from updates or any future games under the newly formatted discs.   Seeming the only way to fix this is to buy a new console.  I know that I am not the only person this has happened to.  But of course there is little to prove this other than before attempting this update my console was fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having the exact same problem and mine is also a refurbished unit that was sent to me from Microsoft. let me know if you find out anything

Sorry this didn't help.

The only solution that is suppotred by MS is to send it back to them to fix.

The other solutions require you to do stuff that is against the Terms of Use.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did your 360 update properly? That is to say, when you launched the game, did you get a pop-up that stated "Update Required" ?

From the sounds of it, the update on the disc did not apply. Go to System Settings, Console Settings, highlight Sytem Info (but don't click on it). On the right side it should say what Dashboard you have. If it's not 2.0.13599.0, it's out of date.

I have a console that still has a dashboard of 2.0.9199.0. When I pop the Gears of War 3 disc into the console, the tile on the dashboard shows Gears of War 3, but when I try to play it I get the Update Required pop-up. If I cancel, I go back to the dashboard.

If your console didn't update to 2.0.13599.0, try updating the console via USB. I keep the latest system update on a USB flash drive for this purpose.

Sorry this didn't help.

My dashboard is out of date it is version 2.0.12625.0.  My brother tried updating using the burnable disc method suggested on xbox support, which of course hasn't worked.  Also I don't have  USB flash drive.

It seems to me after all I've been reading is that my system has been banned by Microsoft because the update detected "modifications",  which if you knew me you would know that this would be impossible for me to accomplish.  I am as technically proficient as a potato.   This is why I am so incredibly frustrated.   Because I know that my system had never been modified, and there shouldn't be any reason I can't update or for my console to be banned.  

Icestorm III - Has your USB update worked on the out of date dashboard console?  Do you have a refurbished unit from Microsoft?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a real issue here.

I can't play gears either, and mine is also a refurb unit that I received after my original box red-ringed. I'm still trying to find answers here, but all I find is more people with the same problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

All I have to say is that if many are having the same problem, and if you have the time contact as many outlets as you can and don't stop bugging Microsoft.  Also it is essential that none of us has in fact modified the console in any way.  Since that in and of it self nullifies Supports reason for the problem in the first place.  We will find a solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

mine is the same, older games have no problem running. it's just this bloody GOW3.. now i really wish to throw the xbox at the MS support guys face if i got the chance!

Sorry this didn't help.