Gears of war 3 is the only disc that will not read?

I recently bought gears of war 3 and the majority of the time it says disc unrecognised or open tray however this is the only game this is happening with (that I have). DVD's and CD's play fine too. The disc is clean and i have tried several copies of the game all have the same problem. I have also tried playing without the hard drive and clearing the chache and still the problem is there. I have had several xbox's that all died from different problems and there is no way I will pay for a repair or a new console just for one game. Any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

You seem to have tried most steps but have you tried installing the game to your HDD yet?.
Worth a shot maybe.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have this exact same problem.  The furthest I've been able to get is the Title Update and even then it gives me a unreadable disc error  when I try to continue.  All of my other games work perfectly.  Gears of War 3 is the only game I'm having an issue with.  I tried exchanging the game for a new copy hoping that it was just a disc issue but it didn't help the situation.  It's crazy to think that I would get two defective discs.  I tried talking to support on Twitter but all they could say after the troubleshooting steps was that my console needs to be repaired.  How is my console broken when it reads and plays all my other games fine?  I have quite an old Xbox so I don't think my warranty is still in effect.  

I just spent $60 on Gears 3 and $60 for a 12 month gold card.  It would be really screwed up to have to pay microsoft to fix a console that isn't broken.

Sorry this didn't help.

Bacon Dust - have you tried GreyPilgrim's advice of installing it to the hard drive?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with Gears 3.  All my other games (newest game I own before Gears 3 is Black Ops) work just fine with the 360 but not Gears 3.  I managed to get all the way into the game menu but it will then freeze, the majority of the time it won't even get that far and it won't read the disc to install it to the hard drive.  Luckily I have another 360 that does work with the game, so I installed the game to the hard drive on that 360, moved the hard drive back to the 360 that won't work with Gears 3 and tried again and it still has the same problem.  Since the 360 works with games that don't use the new format it appears that my DVD drive is not compatible with the update (the update did install fine, and as I said, the system still works great with all of the 'older' format discs).  Since that is the case I see no reason why I, or others who have the same issue, should have to pay to have our consoles 'fixed' to be compatible with the new disc format.  I read that Microsoft somehow identified those who would run into this issue with the update and supposedly sent out emails to those affected and would replace their 360s for free; but as far as I know, I did not receive said email and yet it would appear that my 360 is definitely not compatible with the new disc format.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in the exact same boat as you and am trying to find the same answers here.

Only gears3 is affected by this, all others work fine, and the gears disc works in a different xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

mine one is a 2006 march unit and it's having the same problems, how about all of u guys.

seems to me the oldest xbox can't run the game.

Sorry this didn't help.

yes, mine is an older model. My original red-ringed, so this is the refurb they sent me from that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here and also demon souls did not work.Microsoft whats going on?????//

Sorry this didn't help.