Gears of war 3 branded xbox live membership...WTF???

Ok, so I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but what the hell are they doing? I was shopping online for gears of war 3, and wound up buying ANOTHER (in this case useless, because I have a family membership,) gold subscription. It has the EXACTLY the same packaging and picture on it as the standard edition game...with a black banner up the top offering free dlc. It even appears in a jewel case... I mean LOOK at it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Live-branded-membership-months/dp/B005EQ0NM0 The friggin membership looks like an ad on a standard copy of GOW 3.... Now Amazon, advertise that the game is not included,(albeit at the bottom of the page) it is a shame that I didn't see the amazon ad before I bought it.

Seriously, are you/they really that desperate for xbox live subscriptions that you are willing to try to trick your customers. It is disgusting, change the friggin packaging, because I would be willing to bet that I am not the only poor fool to have fallen for this marketing trick...I am also willing to bet that I am not the only customer that now has less money to spend on things like microsoft points, other games etc, because we now own something we don't need....grrr@your marketing department, xbox.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Don't see how it was tricking you when it says exactly what you would be recieving in the title.

My bad...that was the title at Amazon...I punched in Gears of war 3 online sales on google, and saw covers, which influenced my decision as to what I was purchasing...The point that I am making, is that the cover is EXACTLY the same as the standard edition of the game...and knowing marketing executives tricks, for the exact reason of catching out gumps like me. What? They couldn't use a different screen cap? They couldn't write on the front, in decent size lettering "game not included"? It says in bold letters "in-game weapon code, redeemable at game launch", inferring that the game is associated with it, when in fact it is a standard xbox live membership. It is a trick. They have associated a registered trademark (being the GOW3 standard edition cover,) with a non associated product...I'm not saying it is illegal...I am just saying it is sneaky...and underhanded. A company as large as microsoft, need not be sneaky. Their products are, and always will be, in demand.

I don't know how you didn't see the large yellow box at the bottom saying "Xbox Live 12 month gold membership + 2 bonus month". Also at the bottom it says that Gears of War 3 sold separately. Also the spine of the "box" says " GOLD Membership".

You should of clicked on the picture to make it bigger.

I'm guessing when other kids were learning to read you were looking at the pictures.

lol it even says it on the picture that it's XBL 12+2 month subscription.

Big fail on your part.

But hey!  Look at the bright side, you get a Special COG Lancer skin that you would otherwise would have to pay $2 for!

Yes, it is an big fail on my part...and in future I am going to check amazon over everything that I buy, so I can enlarge the picture, get accurate product description  etc. As for the x-box gold "statement" on the front, I have bought several games that has had, almost exactly, that banner as an ad for xbox live, on the plastic seal, that comes off the box, and truth be told,  I thought that was a special offer that went with the game...I know, I shouldn't make assumptions, but from the cover, I assumed that this was a standard edition game, with an extra 2 months added if I bought an xbox live subscription seperately, and a gun skin...I know it was almost entirely my fault, for not researching the product properly...and trying to find the best deal...nonetheless, I still maintain that the packaging is deceptive...Like putting a coke in a pepsi can, and then writing in tiny little letters "coke must be bought seperately"...

They should have used a different cover picture (at least)...and having seen GOW3, there is no shortage of screen captures that would make awesome covers.

EPic Fail my friend

ok just give me the code and let's all play King of the Hill :)

[quote user="Dreegle"]

Yes, it is an big fail on my part...and in future I am going to check amazon over everything that I buy, so I can enlarge the picture, get accurate product description  etc. As for the x-box gold "statement" on the front, I have bought several games that has had, almost exactly, that banner as an ad for xbox live, on the plastic seal, that comes off the box, and truth be told,  I thought that was a special offer that went with the game...I know, I shouldn't make assumptions, but from the cover, I assumed that this was a standard edition game, with an extra 2 months added if I bought an xbox live subscription seperately, and a gun skin...I know it was almost entirely my fault, for not researching the product properly...and trying to find the best deal...nonetheless, I still maintain that the packaging is deceptive...Like putting a coke in a pepsi can, and then writing in tiny little letters "coke must be bought seperately"...

They should have used a different cover picture (at least)...and having seen GOW3, there is no shortage of screen captures that would make awesome covers.

[/quote]

Huh?