I have given this system a shot (2 months) and it continually disapoints me on almost all aspects, especially in comparison to the competition. After playing Titanfall (an exclusive) and many other titles, launch and after, I have come to the conclusion that X1 is clearly #2 in graphical performance. All these announcements of multi platform and exclusive titles coming to Xbox One with less performance (IE 720p and/or 30fps) is just going to continue. And YES, there is a huge difference between a game that runs at 1080p 60fps vs. a game that runs 720p 60fps or a game that runs 1080p 60fps vs.a game that runs 1080p 30fps. I realize Titanfall is an Xbox exclusive, but the fact that the game is only 720p and is also an exclusive title with months and months of extra development time, truly means they are maxing out the X1's capabilities. Yeah sure, over time they will learn tricks to get framerates up, but the bottom line is, on PS4 they don't have to.
And to those of you that keep saying "who cares about resolution and framerate, it's all about how the game plays." To you I say, what if it is the same game? Can anyone really say Battlefield 4 or Assassins Creed 4 play worse on PS4? Didn't think so. But they sure look and perform better, which effects gameplay as well.
I am angry at Microsoft this gen, They simply dropped the ball. How in the world could they end up with the weaker system?? They have nearly endless resources at their disposal and yet the X1 is underpowered. I truly like Kinect if they would utilize it properly, but I think X1 developers put too much of their development time into the Kinect experience and the system performance was secondary. Why didn't they just go balls out on the performance? This is Microsoft people! Why did they keep the specs on the conservative side? Makes no sense to me. And please stop with MixterMedia or whatever he is. That is just stupid.
Anyways, I am reconsidering a PS4 purchase once again. I have had some time to sit with the system and it just feels better. Games look and run better too.
Here is a list of things that make me mad about Xbox One:
1. Kinect. For as much time as they spent talking this thing up, it is severely underutilized. You cant even take a picture with it or use it to record video messages. The best use of it so far is the "xbox record that" feature. Other than that it is totally useless to me. Where are the character customization features, etc?
2. Controller Build quality. As an adult gamer that never broke a controller in my life, both of my X1 controllers are "breaking". My Day one has a bad left stick (weird dead spot) and the right bumper and trigger are somehow messed up where you push the trigger and the button above it partially goes in as well. My Play and charge controller has an issue with the left stick plastic being "ground away" to a rough surface where the stick touches the casing.
3. TV integration and no Passthrough. I simply cant use the tv integration because they did not make it a passthrough. The X1 has to be on to watch TV. Fine for me, but BAD if you have a wife and kids.
4. Storage. Why cant I look at my saved games and move them, or delete them or do whatever I want to? Why can't I look at my hard drive contents? Because of this I have to start BF4 campaign from the beginning for the 5th time! Yeah, I know this is an EA problem with that particular game, but if I simply had the ability to save my game locally it would be a non-issue.
5. Performance. It's hardware WILL struggle for the next 5-7 years running games at a comparable level to the competition. I have to ask myself, "am I ready to accept lower quality multiplatform games for the next 5-7 years?" I WISH this were not true. But it is. I did not want to believe this for a long time. I wanted X1 to be the most powerful console or at least equal. But it is not and never will be. "Do I want to play Destiny (a title I am looking forward to) at 720p or 1080p?" The answer to that question made my decision to reconsider the PS4.
6. No Dolby 5.1 through optical. What!?
7. Games literally take 6-8 hours to download. That is insane.
Some things I like about Xbox One:
1. It is quiet and feels well built. (except for the controllers)
2. Kinect 2.0 is amazing and Auto Sign in is cool.
3. The game clip record features.
I know I will get flamed by most of you for this post. Actually I don't even know why I am posting it. Maybe to help the few of you see the truth of the situation here. If you can afford to have both, I guess get both consoles. (thanks Halo) But if you can only have one console and Halo isn't a deciding factor, then PS4 is a better choice if you want to play the best versions of games. ( and please, PC superior race people, no comments from you. I have a PC and it won't play any of these games)