Gave X1 a shot, but it really is going to be lagging behind this Gen

I have given this system a shot (2 months) and it continually disapoints me on almost all aspects, especially in comparison to the competition. After playing Titanfall (an exclusive) and many other titles, launch and after, I have come to the conclusion that X1 is clearly #2 in graphical performance. All these announcements of multi platform and exclusive titles coming to Xbox One with less performance (IE 720p and/or 30fps) is just going to continue. And YES, there is a huge difference between a game that runs at 1080p 60fps vs. a game that runs 720p 60fps or a game that runs 1080p 60fps vs.a game that runs 1080p 30fps. I realize Titanfall is an Xbox exclusive, but the fact that the game is only 720p and is also an exclusive title with months and months of extra development time, truly means they are maxing out the X1's capabilities. Yeah sure, over time they will learn tricks to get framerates up, but the bottom line is, on PS4 they don't have to. 

And to those of you that keep saying "who cares about resolution and framerate, it's all about how the game plays." To you I say, what if it is the same game? Can anyone really say Battlefield 4 or Assassins Creed 4 play worse on PS4? Didn't think so. But they sure look and perform better, which effects gameplay as well. 

I am angry at Microsoft this gen, They simply dropped the ball. How in the world could they end up with the weaker system?? They have nearly endless resources at their disposal and yet the X1 is underpowered. I truly like Kinect if they would utilize it properly, but I think X1 developers put too much of their development time into the Kinect experience and the system performance was secondary. Why didn't they just go balls out on the performance? This is Microsoft people! Why did they keep the specs on the conservative side? Makes no sense to me. And please stop with MixterMedia or whatever he is. That is just stupid.

Anyways, I am reconsidering a PS4 purchase once again. I have had some time to sit with the system and it just feels better. Games look and run better too.

Here is a list of things that make me mad about Xbox One:

1. Kinect. For as much time as they spent talking this thing up, it is severely underutilized. You cant even take a picture with it or use it to record video messages. The best use of it so far is the "xbox record that" feature. Other than that it is totally useless to me. Where are the character customization features, etc?

2. Controller Build quality. As an adult gamer that never broke a controller in my life, both of my X1 controllers are "breaking". My Day one has a bad left stick (weird dead spot) and the right bumper and trigger are somehow messed up where you push the trigger and the button above it partially goes in as well. My Play and charge controller has an issue with the left stick plastic being "ground away" to a rough surface where the stick touches the casing. 

3. TV integration and no Passthrough. I simply cant use the tv integration because they did not make it a passthrough. The X1 has to be on to watch TV. Fine for me, but BAD if you have a wife and kids. 

4. Storage. Why cant I look at my saved games and move them, or delete them or do whatever I want to? Why can't I look at my hard drive contents? Because of this I have to start BF4 campaign from the beginning for the 5th time! Yeah, I know this is an EA problem with that particular game, but if I simply had the ability to save my game locally it would be a non-issue.

5. Performance. It's hardware WILL struggle for the next 5-7 years running games at a comparable level to the competition. I have to ask myself, "am I ready to accept lower quality multiplatform games for the next 5-7 years?" I WISH this were not true. But it is. I did not want to believe this for a long time. I wanted X1 to be the most powerful console or at least equal. But it is not and never will be. "Do I want to play Destiny (a title I am looking forward to) at 720p or 1080p?" The answer to that question made my decision to reconsider the PS4.

6. No Dolby 5.1 through optical. What!?

7. Games literally take 6-8 hours to download. That is insane.

Some things I like about Xbox One:

1. It is quiet and feels well built. (except for the controllers)

2. Kinect 2.0 is amazing and Auto Sign in is cool.

3. The game clip record features.

I know I will get flamed by most of you for this post. Actually I don't even know why I am posting it. Maybe to help the few of you see the truth of the situation here. If you can afford to have both, I guess get both consoles. (thanks Halo) But if you can only have one console and Halo isn't a deciding factor, then PS4 is a better choice if you want to play the best versions of games. ( and please, PC superior race people, no comments from you. I have a PC and it won't play any of these games)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Warlok9"]And YES, there is a huge difference between a game that runs at 1080p 60fps vs. a game that runs 720p 60fps or a game that runs 1080p 60fps vs.a game that runs 1080p 30fps.[/quote]No, there isn't. At the distances the Masses sit from their TVs the human eye cannot resolve enough detail to perceive a difference between 720p and 1080p. The only people who can "see" a difference are pixel peepers who are explicitly looking for differences using distances and techniques that don't apply to the Masses.[quote]I am angry at Microsoft this gen, They simply dropped the ball.[/quote]MS didn't "drop" anything, they built a system designed around how people use the 360.[quote]Actually I don't even know why I am posting it.[/quote]I do. You haven't read the forum Code of Conduct and aren't aware comparison threads are verboten.[quote]( and please, PC superior race people, no comments from you. I have a PC and it won't play any of these games)[/quote]Really? That's funny, I could swear ACIV, BF4, and CoD Ghosts were all available on PC, running at higher resolutions with higher framerates than their console counterparts, across the board.

To discount the PC in the discussion is to ignore the usage model of PCs - at a desk mere inches from the display. It's PC where resolution and framerate are easily perceivable. The 10' model of consoles? It's far less of a concern to anyone other than those trolling for pageviews (Digital Foundry).

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="Warlok9"]And YES, there is a huge difference between a game that runs at 1080p 60fps vs. a game that runs 720p 60fps or a game that runs 1080p 60fps vs.a game that runs 1080p 30fps.[/quote]No, there isn't. At the distances the Masses sit from their TVs the human eye cannot resolve enough detail to perceive a difference between 720p and 1080p. The only people who can "see" a difference are pixel peepers who are explicitly looking for differences using distances and techniques that don't apply to the Masses.[quote]I am angry at Microsoft this gen, They simply dropped the ball.[/quote]MS didn't "drop" anything, they built a system designed around how people use the 360.[quote]Actually I don't even know why I am posting it.[/quote]I do. You haven't read the forum Code of Conduct and aren't aware comparison threads are verboten.[quote]( and please, PC superior race people, no comments from you. I have a PC and it won't play any of these games)[/quote]Really? That's funny, I could swear ACIV, BF4, and CoD Ghosts were all available on PC, running at higher resolutions with higher framerates than their console counterparts, across the board.

To discount the PC in the discussion is to ignore the usage model of PCs - at a desk mere inches from the display. It's PC where resolution and framerate are easily perceivable. The 10' model of consoles? It's far less of a concern to anyone other than those trolling for pageviews (Digital Foundry).

[/quote]

Well said.

After playing Titanfall? Doesn't that come out on March 11? Mad time travelling skills. Can I see your TARDIS?

Matthew Marion

If this post helped you, don't forget to like it!

Lol? I don't think op even used the x1. I have a buddy who gave ps4 a shot and sold it. What's that say?

Also, as far as point 5 goes: saying that the console will struggle is ridiculous. The Xbox 360 was underpowered when compared to the PS3, but even still, at the end of their generation it matched and in some cases bested the PS3s superior hardware. While I agree, hardware IS important, it is by no means a guaranteed measure of how the system will perform over its lifespan, and further than that, the difference in hardware is nowhere NEAR as big of a difference as it was previous generation. Your comments are misguided, misinformed and just plain silly.

Matthew Marion

Ugh. Duplicate post. Can edit, but not delete apparently. o.O

Matthew Marion

Another day...another troll.

[quote user="Merlin4421"]

Lol? I don't think op even used the x1.

[/quote]

He has plenty of uploaded gameplay clips of Battlefield 4. While some of us may disagree with aspects of his post he has used the system at least. Unlike some others.

@ OP: Bye,bye....

Let him have his say and move on guys. If he's convinced he doesn't like it then so be it. Nothing we say will change his mind. Just another post the should disappear down the pages as we've seen it all before!