Gateway isn't properly responding to ICMP responses.

I'm a fairly technically savvy person, but this is out of my league and I desperately need the help of someone with more experience.  I can't connect to xbox live and it is driving me insane! Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thank you, God Bless.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? United States/Arizona

Modem brand & model number:  Actiontec PK5000

Router brand & model number:   Actiontec PK5000

Network Connection Type: Wired

Things you have tried: All of the xbox recommendations. Although I was not able to connect my xbox directly to the modem. Played around with the DMZ, enabled it for my xbox IP address. 

Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown

Is NAT Type Open? Unknown

Any Error Codes you encounter: Your console can connect to xbox live, but your router or gateway isn't properly responding to ICMP responses. 

What type of internet do you have? I'm pretty sure it's cable. 

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Qwest/Century Link

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? Your console can connect to xbox live, but your router or gateway isn't properly responding to ICMP responses. It gets to the very last part of the test connection and can't connect.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To be sure, have you tried the steps listed in this guide? Also, would it be possible to connect the Xbox 360 to your modem, if only for a moment to troubleshoot?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I have tried the steps in that guide. My house is fairly old and I don't have the capability to plug the xbox into the router, and have a TV all in the same room. One thing to note...yesterday I turned off my comp that is running on the same network and saw improvement, but still wasn't able to stay connected to Xbox live. Don't know if this helps. All I know is that I'm terribly frustrated and haven't been able to play online for 3 days now. The game I'm trying to play is NCAA football 12

Sorry this didn't help.

Were you able to connect previously? If so, has anything changed in your home or network setup? If it hasn't, you may want to call your ISP, to be sure that nothing has changed on their end in the last 3 days, either.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I was able to connect previously, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has changed. I'm able to connect to xbox live now, but as soon as I try to play my game or use netflix it disconnects me. This has probably been one of the most frustrating things ive ever experienced. I call xbox for support, and after two hours of them not figuring out what the problem is, they say they cannot help me because I'm using adapters to connect to xbox live and that I need to contact my ISP. (which is discrimination in my mind, because of the way my house is structured this is the ONLY way I can connect) So I contact my ISP today and after two hours on the phone with them, they say that they cannot help me, everything is good on their end. No one on here has a clue as to what is going on either. I google search ICMP response error and I get nothing helpful. If this continues I will no longer be an xbox live customer, and immediately seek a refund for my membership.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can understand your frustrations as it sometimes takes a little bit of technical jargon to get you to the right support techs.  Explain how you have your Xbox connected with adapters, and I'll try to assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

EDG! Thanks you for understanding. I do appreciate your help. I have an ethernet cable running from my router (Actiontec PK5000) to my adapter (TII Network Technologies TURBO 85) that is plugged into an electrical outlet in my computer room. I have another adapter plugged into an electrical outlet in the living room, which is connected by ethernet cable to my xbox. Any and all advice will be very much appreciated. THANK YOU!

Sorry this didn't help.

You can't expect something like powerline adapters to reliably carry data, especially for a system like XBL which has much higher standards than normal web browsing.  Power lines were never designed to carry data, and especially if you're living in an older house, even the slightest fluctuation in power is going to throw off whatever signal the powerlines are carrying.  You either need to plug directly into your actiontec or get a wireless adapter and connect wirelessly.

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggest updating the firmware of your Actiontec Router.  From what I have found it seems your model struggled to properly handle ICMP.  Updating the firmware to the current release may solve your problem.  If it does not, maybe a different brand of router would help but I hate to see people spend money on guesses.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having similar troubles. I can't figure it out either. I've tried almost everything but a complete reboot of my router. I don't recall having this kind of trouble until after the last Xbox update. I'm wondering if that may have anything to do with it. It's driving me nuts. I haven't been able to play in a good 4-5 days, at least, I'd say. You're right. There is no help with regards to this when you Google it. Once I find a solution I will post it on here for you. I've tried altering my network settings. Manually searching for my network. Since about half the time now it won't even appear on the list to choose from. Despite that my Xbox hasn't been moved from where it's at in several months and my PS3 is right next to it as well as my laptop and both of those have no problem with my network. I'm utterly baffled by this one this time.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having these problems and it's only with my Xbox, no other wireless devices are effected. I can sign into LIVE but when I try to watch Netflix or play a game online I get booted from the network. Very frustrating. I never used to have these problems until a couple months ago. I wonder if it's something on Xbox's side that is causing this to happen to us? I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing these same problems.

Sorry this didn't help.