Gamma Correction Problem

ok, so. it seems to me that when I use a Monitor resolution with my console (848x480, 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x1024, 1360x768, 1440x900, or 1680x1050) it puts out a different gamma than when I use a tv resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p) so when I use a monitor resolution, the image looks too bright and the whites look squeezed, causing scenes which are supposed to be dark and cinematic to instead look like they were shot with a camcorder. I've tried changing the reference levels, but that just makes the image look washed out and grey.

I like to use the monitor resolution 1360x768 because it's the same resolution as my television, (and my TV tends to underscan tv resolutions, but that's not your problem)

I doubt that this is isolated, since Portal 2 has an option to compensate for it. (which makes it look a hell of a lot better) but most games don't.  I was hoping the next system update could include an option for fixing this, but I updated today and nothing.

so could you please give me some advice? (other than buy a new TV, that's not helpful) or possibly offer a fix in the near future? thanking you in advance.

btw my console is an arcade (the one that came with banjo-kazooie nuts and bolts and Viva Pinata), I'm using an HDMI cable, and my tv is some Vizio thing (but I tried it on another TV and got the same problem)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

ok nevermind, I figured it out through some further experimentation, it's not the console, I think my television just has the contrast too high. (and for some reason wont let me change it, stupid thing) sorry to have bothered you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

so... could you make it so that when you modify the reference level you could modify black level and white level individually instead of together? that would fix just about everything methinks.

not that anyone besides me cares about my **** television

Sorry this didn't help.

when I said "underscan" I meant that it tends to cut off a good 1/3 of the image. which really bites.

Sorry this didn't help.