Gamertag/WL email recovery help!

With the new addition of the password requirement on XBL to sign in on a new console, some people are having problems with their gamertags. I understand this is for security reasons, which I can agree with, however, if an Xbox360 breaks, or one needs to sign in on a different console, this poses a problem for those of us who made an account 7 years ago and a console breaks on us. My question is, for those who have forgotten the password and secret question to their account, what information is needed to unlock the account via XBL customer support, to retrieve our gamertags, and possibly hundreds of dollars in purchases made on Xbox Live? And what action should be taken for the speediest recovery of our accounts? My brother, and several of my friends who have been XBL users for years are having this issue, and I'd like to try and find a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Also, are our purchases in any way recoverable to a new gamertag using valid credit card information?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

if you cannot answer those basic questions you are going to have trouible reseting the password

xbox support cannot change the password or the windows live id for you

(unless unauthorized access occured )

your only option is to goto windowslivehelp.com and click forgot my password and contact customer service

then you will have to validate who you are in more detail

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Uhm ok. You probably will have to call Support to retrieve the account. However, they will probably ask for for the info that was registered with the account, for example:

-Name/Last name

-(Payment option you used)

-Adress registered with account ETC.

If you can aawnser those simple questions about the account, then you're good.. if not, then i don't see any other possible way to prove the account is yours.

Sorry this didn't help.

You could call Xbox live support, but they can't get your account back for you. The only way to access your account again is through windows live support team, which is all online. If you call the Xbox live support team, they will just redirect you back to the website to retrieve the info. If you've gotten as far as them asking you the answer to the secret question, then you know that the last option you'll see on this page after putting your email in is "customer support". This gives you a link for a verification form that you can fill out with windows live. If you give them enough information on that form to verify that it's your account, then they will contact you at the email you provide as an alternate on that form. This is all assuming that you hadn't added an email to your account that you can access now of course, since it's been so long since you set the account up. It sucks when this happens because it's so easy to not go on windows live until a situation like your Xbox breaking happens or buying a new Xbox,etc. But with the way Windows live is separate from Xbox live support, it's just how it is.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello there eZORN, I see you are wanting to know what information you need to retrieve your account, firstly since you say you don't have your secret question answer I don't know what you can do, you'll have to call support and see what they require, you'll get more information by calling Xbox Support. To your next question, no you cannot retrieve purchases like DLCs to another Xbox, if it was the same Xbox the things are downloaded to your Xbox and other profiles can use it, since it sounds like your Xbox broke, I don't believe it can be retrieve on a different gamertag. If you were to have access to the gamertag that bought it, maybe you'd be able to obtain it, but since it sounds like you don't have the main gamertag then it doesn't sound like you'll be able too. You'd be better off just calling Phone Support and see what they say about the situation and what you can do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.